Ideas for 16 meter long arms...

4 section silky fox saw reaches 28 ft, too late for your battery now but a crossbow with a ball ended bolt would knock it down.

I've retrieved planes from pine trees adjacent to our local model flyers club a couple of times, last time I was rewarded with a bottle of scotch, but I did have to spike up the tree.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Find a climbing club with members who might take on the challenge? (but you said Suffolk? ...). Any archery clubs?

Phil

Reply to
Phil B

Learn to fly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

send a cat up there and then call the fire brigade to rescue it.

Reply to
Dave

I feel that the battery might *just* have gone flat by now...

NatPhil - did you ever get it down?!!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Dunno why this old thread has resurfaced.

Anyway it came down 'all by istelf' and was repaired and is now fully flying with a new pack.

The key we think was the rapid deterioration of the rubber bands that held the wings on..in sunlight.

once it became two parts, it fell.

As far as learning to fly goes, this was a very first flight, when many many things are unknowns. One is, so to speak, a test pilot. And the very first few seconds are hugely complex, as several things may need to be adjusted simultaneously.

People who fly real aircraft say that models are actually harder. As there are less points of reference.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But then he'll be stuck up in the tree as well as the plane.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Yep. It fell down after I think the rubber band holding the wings broke. Some passerby stuck it on the front garden hedge.

The pack? well let's say after careful recovery I now have what behaves like a 600mAh pack where it once was an 1100mAh, and its relegated to test duties.

The plane was passed to a friend and after repairs it flies again. Cos I had built a replacement by that time anyway.

Its a bloody fast little bugger..pretty aerobatic and very small. Tends to turn into a dot very quickly. Its very hard to tell which way the dot is going sometimes..generally its a wing waggle and 'oops, that turned the wrong way, must be going AWAY from me..'

Probably needs a bigger open space than I've flown it on..these high speed planes are hard to bring in low and slow for landing..they may take all of several hundred yards to bleed speed off to land and if that several hundred yards is bounded by high trees, they have to be dived in. Not easy. I had one which needed to do a couple of circuits with the engine off before it was anywhere near slow enough to land, and even then it would come in hot and hard at about 25mph...best way was to crash it into the crops.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He was flying an RC aircraft, but didn't have enough control.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Sun, 20 May 2007 17:20:57 +0100, "Mary Fisher" mused:

Pillock.

Reply to
Lurch

Quite.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

This all sounds good for roof inspections - can one fit a cam thats fast enough?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Aviation-based aerial photography isn't much good for sites less than half an acre, and won't have the detail suitable for surveying use.

Ground-based aerial photography is also available, and probably easier to DIY with an ex-MOD radio mast, and a camera.

Information at

Owain

We enjoyed a hot air balloon flight recently and I got some stunning photographs of features which can't be observed from the ground.

Spouse has taken some acceptable pictures using a lightweight digital camera mounted under a radio controlled model aircraft.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Surely all you need is one of them remote controlled helicopters, use that to dislodge it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Oh. one uses a MUCH slower plane for that. Yes, its a well known thing - loads of videos around of people flying over large bits of scenery, and their houses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

model planes are actually used a LOT in this context.

The ability to fly at any altitude without endangering life and limb is the key.

well, you have to enjoy flying them. Poles are so passe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher