Ideal Elan Low Pitched Groan

Hi, My friend's 18 year old boiler makes a groaning noise whenever it cycles on. The noise stops once the boiler cycles off. I am wondering whether noise reducer gel would be beneficial in this situation.

As far as I understand it the noise reducer gel addresses the problem of "kettling" which, supposedly, sounds like a kettle boiling (surprisingly enough). I would not say this low pitched groaning noise sounds much like a kettle, but it definitely eminates from the boiler itself rather than the associated pipework or other fittings. Neither is it coming from the pump, because as I say, it is only apparent when the boiler is actually firing rather than just circulating the water.

So my question is, is the noise reducer gel likely to be worth the twenty odd quid?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Winged Cat

Has it always done this? When does the noise start. Typically, the pump will go on, then the blower, then the pilot light, followed by the burner.

A groaning noise may well be the bearings on the blower dying. Oiling/greasing it may stop it for a few weeks to a few years.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Fairly sure that Elans are natural draught with open or balanced flue variants. Might be some sort of flame/burner problem. Start with a good clear out and thorough check over.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for the advice so far.

It is natural draught so the noise is not flu related. The noise is definitely associated with the water being heated, as it starts off quitely when the boiler commences its cycle, the gradually increases in volume as the water gets heated, reaches a plateau, and then ceases when the boiler cycles off again.

Reply to
Winged Cat

My ~15 year old Ideal (Stelrad) New Mexico Slimline has benefitted greatly from a shot of the (screwfix supplied) Purimachos boiler descaler and the inhibitor in to too after a full drain down.

It used to make a noise like that which you describe - but now - 3 weeks later it's almost inaudiable in the kitchen - and the whole system seems to be a lot quieter.

Big thanks to AndyH/Ed for the advice in the first place :)

Cheers Dan

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Ok, that obviously rules out the fan :)

Then it'll probably be silent, if you start it from cold, at least for a while.

Kettles/boilers/... can in general make wierd noises. The mechanism is that the water gets hot, and a bubble of steam can form which then rapidly collapses as it moves away from the heated surface. Get conditions just right (pipework/... that makes the echo from this little bang arrive just as the next bubble is about to collapse) and you can get the noise feeding on itself, and part of the energy that should go into heating the water goes into making noise.

Anti-kettling additive may be a good idea.

It's also possible that some other element is failing, and causing the boiler to sing as it's getting too hot. Possibly the pimp (if present), or maybe just general clogging.

So, a flush of the system with some gunk-clearant may not be a bad one either.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

increases

ceases

My ~15 year old Ideal (Stelrad) New Mexico Slimline has benefitted greatly from a shot of the (screwfix supplied) Purimachos boiler descaler and the inhibitor in to too after a full drain down.

It used to make a noise like that which you describe - but now - 3 weeks later it's almost inaudiable in the kitchen - and the whole system seems to be a lot quieter.

Big thanks to AndyH/Ed for the advice in the first place :)

Cheers Dan[/quote:63f67109a5]

TEST :D :D :? 8) :P :evil: :?:

Reply to
Gayton

Hmmmm - hadn't noticed that boilers had a pimp ;-) Wonder why they keep that feature off the spec sheets :)

Sorry - couldn't resist :)

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

In message , Winged Cat writes

Sexy boiler the Elan

Could it be a washer vibrating?

Difficult to tell without a more precise explanation of the noise

At what point in the cycle does this filly make a noise ?

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

Plenty of fan flued ones around. The fan assembly sits on a plate almost the width of the boiler

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

Now that must be a freudian slip

I'd still go for a washer vibrating in the flow

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

This is another example where the manufacturers kept the name of a previous and successful [1] model. Early Profiles were called 'Netaheat Profile'. Ideal do a 'Mexico II' (Sameas as ma Mexico but with electronic ignition).

[1] = They sold the ones they made, made money on their activities and the appliance did not make the evening news for taking out someone's house. ;-)
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well thank you for your help everyone. This afternoon I drained down and refilled, adding 1 bottle of inhibitor and 1 bottle of noise reducer and incredibly the noise has stopped completely. I cannot believe the noise reducer can be directly responsible for the instant disappearance of the noise. I thought it was supposed to work like a descaler which I would have thought would take some time to have an effect.

My theory at the moment is that the drain down has dislodged some smeg/limescale that had accumulated in some crucial part of the system (causing the noise) and it has either been drained away or displaced to some area where it's not doing any harm. I can't really think of any other rational explanation.

Reply to
Winged Cat