I want to buy a cordless drill

Any proof of this or are you making this up?

...and Andy now attempts, as usual, to get people to part with their hard earned cash by buying over priced tools.... here he goes...

Reply to
IMM

I posed the same question some time back. I ended up buying a Panasonic and a Ryobi 18V (STP 1801). The Panasonic wins but is far more expensive.

I've used the Ryobi more than any other tool and barely touched a mains drill. It's got a Rohm chuck that has worked flawlessly and the battery life is superb. Trigger control of speed for screwdriving etc. is not perfect but you get used to it (and it is a combi!) Overall it's a solid piece of kit. I know hammer action is not a major concern for you but if I did have to buy another tool I'd seriously consider Ryobi stuff.

Reply to
StealthUK

In fact the OP can have a Makita for the the *same* money as your beloved Ryobi:

John Rumm

12 v. The Ryobi has 3 batteries and a 2 yr guarantee to.

Reply to
IMM

I'm in the same boat - 4.8V electric screwdriver just gives up when pushing bigger screws.

Anyone know if Worx tools (Homebase and Argos) are any good? I've seen a 14.4V drill/driver with 2 x 1.5Ah bats and 3 yr warranty for £45 which looks like a REALLY good deal.

Reply to
Mark Begbie

Probably is, but only if they are 1 hour charge time.

Reply to
IMM

You don't genuinely believe that do you?

Reply to
David

Wickes rebadged 15.6V Kress was a good buy but they discontinued it in favour of cheaper Italian models from Casals. Wickes sold off the £129 Kress ones at £80. The new Casals one started off around the £80 mark. Previous comments on the group have not rated the non-Kress products at Wickes particularly highly.

Reply to
mike

I'd say advice from one who actually knows tools and what they should be used for is more valuable than guesses based on advertising...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Believe what?

Reply to
IMM

I quite agree.

Reply to
IMM

That the retail price is £279 and they have a 75% discount, what a load of crap. Its a bit like and MFI "sale"

Reply to
David

Hi,

Best to compare torque, quality of speed control and and weight rather than battery voltage alone.

The Makita for £96 with 3 batts and a 30 min charger looks excellent value at ony £16 over the OP's budget.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The retail price is £279. I don't think anyone will ever sell one at that price tough. The point is that this is a top pro drill.

Reply to
IMM

He obviously wants a substantial drill. The combi type Ryobi is beefier than the 12v drill/driver Makita's.

Reply to
IMM

I take it you watch Auction World?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Definitely. I have seen these products, touched them and talked to people with them as well as reading the reviews.

I don't really mind what people buy - it makes no difference to me. However, it's rather pointless spending £80 on something of questionnable origin and servicability when one can get a proper product for the same or little more.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you look at the reviews, you will discover that a Makita of given voltage outperforms these OEM products of at least the next higher voltage. One has to look at motor, speed controller and batteries to make a proper determination rather than assuming that voltage correlates to penile length.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall