I've buggered up the dishwasher

We have a Bosch dishwasher. It wasn't washing as well as it might, so I thought I'd check out the power of the jets from the rotating arms. My cunning plan was to fool the machine into running while the door was ajar by sticking a knife into the hole in the top of the door which engages with a U-shaped piece of metal fixed to the upper edge of the inside of the machine. Inside the hole in the door is a wedge- shaped piece of plastic. It easily clicked into the position it's in when the door is closed. Great for checking out the jets (they're fine), but I can't get the thing to "unclick". The machine now thinks the door is always closed! So do I have to dismantle the whole door assembly to fix it?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I think it expects a loop to be pulled out which rotates part of the mechanism. A bit like a car door catch.

Reply to
John

Thanks John, excellent advice, promptly given. Three mins with that great toolbox standby, a bit of bent coathanger, and it's back to where it should be. A black mark from HWMBO avoided in the nick of time. Now I just have to explain how I sprayed water onto the kitchen ceiling.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
martin_pentreath

"I was trying to clean it for you, dear" and a bunch of flowers should work.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nah. Just deny all knowledge.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Flowers? A cast iron admission of guilt!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

The dishwasher thermocouple was malfunctioning, causing water vapour to escape and condense on the ceiling. But now you've fixed it without needing to waste £100 on a repairman.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I see you are well practised! ;)

Reply to
Clot

The catch there is that there's now £100 for spending on frivolities...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Never, there is an 'art' in flower giving to the 'other half' Peter. Over

40 odd years, I have bought her a (cheapish) bunch of flowers at least once a month or so (whether innocent or guilty of a misdemeanour), with the result that I never get asked "what have you bloody done now" - even if I am actually guilty of something (which can be quite often)!

It has yet to fail! ROTFL

Cash

Reply to
Cash

In your case in is normal behaviour. The problem is when it is an unexpected one off!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

martin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

Nice trick - I had to take my door apart when I buggered up mine doing the same thing as you!!!

OTOH, it was instructive, which meant that fixing it when *someone* put powder into the rinse aid filler was quite easy (meant I had a torx driver to hand for a start!).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I'd worked that one out Peter before I'd even proposed to the other half (had some good advice given to me in the sixties) - hence the monthly bunch of flowers, and it's paid great dividends over the years.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

My neice owns a florists. Whenever a bloke wanders in & starts looking around aimlesly, her opening phrase is "how much trouble are you in?"

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

:) Made me smile. The old family family firm was a florists and makes me reflect!

Reply to
Clot

You bravely interupted and drove off some naughty burglars who were pissing on the ceiling ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You were just seeing if the dishwasher was capable of washing the whole kitchen. But it needs a much more powerful motor!

Reply to
Matty F

Thanks, all you guys, for the laugh. Needed that - stuck in front of the PC with a buggered knee and a towel full of peas from the freezer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

It is much easier and cheaper to just change the girlfriend for one you have not upset.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Martin Pentreath posted

Amazing. I did *exactly* the same to mine (also a Bosch) a couple of years ago, for the same reason. I eventually tripped the catch back to its original position with a screwdriver blade, but I was sweating for an hour or two. There was also a funny red plastic lever thing that moved in a groove above the handle, it popped out while I was mucking about with it. I never did work out whether I put it back in the right way, but it seems to work so I'm leaving it alone :)

What I'd like is a dishwasher with a glass door, so that you can see that it's working properly, the arms are turning freely etc. Like those demo models you see in department stores.

Reply to
Big Les Wade