Wire brush V abrasive discs

Anyone got any experience of the best way to remove old paint from concrete window cills?

Obviously angle grinder!

I'm wondering if a steel wire cup brush or a 24 grit abrasive disc & backing pad would be best?

Two layers of paint, top layer very flaky, bottom layer seems pretty well bonded.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Both seem plausible solutions - why not experiment and report back?

As long at it starts with an angle-grinder, it's science.... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Cos I want to include the cost of the brush/discs into the job - I don't have them and don't want to buy both.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Erm, chemical paint remover (presuming the paint is oil based), brick cleaning acid, some types of graffiti remover et al!

A typical BFBI (brute force and bloody ignorance) 'suggestion' from the uninformed?

As above.

Very good description of the problem - perhaps letting us know what type of paint could help in formulating an answer!

Is masonary paint? Is it an oil based paint? Is it PEP (for the uninitiated Plastic Emulsion Paint)? Is it bitumen paint? Is it an acrylic paint? Is it a simple lime wash? Is it a combination of any of the above?

Or is it just *SUPER* *MAN*?

Big Grin

Reply to
Big Grin

I like BF&I :-)

Yup, as far as I can tell. Could be anything though, hence the mechanical removal method, since I can't be sure exactly wot it is. House dates from

1917.

Anyway, thought you wern't talking to me?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

With both you are turning the layer of paint into dust - could it be lead based????

Can you scrape some off - or use paint remover. These seem more efficient than turning the paint into dust.

Can't you get some sort of flap wheel that is very coarse?

Reply to
John

I'd be tempted to experiment with paint stripper first, in the hope of softening it and scraping it without abrading the concrete.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Why not an ordinary rotary sander? Not as scary as the angle grinder.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

You've not been here long, have you?

Reply to
Steve Walker

How big? How bad is the concrete? Nitromors?

Reply to
Clot

Its well beyond the abilities of a sander, lumps & bumps of old paint.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

About 14 cills of varying sizes. Apart from one, the cills seem very good. Not sure that Nitromors shifts masonry paint. I'll check.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

OK, forget my post!

Reply to
Clot

With the number you are talking about and the previous comments, I think this will be an expensive option. If the concrete is in good condition then a regular paint stripper for the bulk and Nitromors to remove the rest, maybe?

Reply to
Clot

It certainly does. The first thing to try IMO

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I did suggest using an angle grinder to cut the plywood a few threads ago - I thought that was entering into the spirit of things.

But I did misunderstand the OP, for some reason I thought he was proposing to mount the abrasive disc on the AG (silly of me), but I now see he meant just what I was suggesting.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I was using a wire brush and an abrasive disk in an AG two weeks ago to remove rust from some steel shelving... it ain't half noisy and very aggressive. I don't see what's wrong with a blow torch and scraper.

Reply to
dennis

Fine if it's oil based, but it doesn't work with masonry paint

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Wirey things usually - too rough for a flat sheet based disk.

Chemistry is often better and quicker though. Follow up with a good pressure washer can work too.

Much depends on why you're doing this: to strip flakey paint before repainting, or to clean off graffitti. It's really hard work to take paint off rough concrete, or concrete with exposed aggregate textrue, if you're aiming for clean concrete afterwards. I generally wouldn't even try - it'll be easier to prepare & repaint than to go back to a decent quality bare concrete.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have you considered water-entrained sand blasting? It's much less messy (no dust, and safer) than dry blasting. Location might limit the possibilities. The Karcher pressure washer and attachment seems to work pretty well but a demonstration would be advisable.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero