I need an incinerator...

I use an incinerator mainly as an alternative to a paper shredder for confidential documents and anything else I don't fancy sticking in the recycling bin.

I've been using one of those galvanised dustbin things, however predictably enough it's rusted through (why do they even bother galvanising them?). Anyone got any better ideas for a replacement?

I don't have access to a supply of oil drums (that I can think of); and CBA to build a brick one. So what else...?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

you could use one of the gizmos for making 'paper log briquettes'

Owain

Reply to
Owain

a crap hibachi should work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Won't it squeeze out through the sides?

Reply to
grimly4

Actually somebody gave me one of those for Christmas about 3 years ago (it's still in it's carton) - however I reckon it will take a hell of along time to burn a binbag of paper in that...

David

Reply to
Lobster

washing machine drum?

Reply to
misterroy

When I tried to get one some time ago, most shops told me it was illegal to use them in my area due to emission regs. erm.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They're useless, anyway. The first time you use them, the galvanising melts and runs off, and they're made of such thin steel, they rust away in a few weeks.

An old oil drum is better, and even they only last a year or two.

Reply to
Huge

Oh yes...

But where does your average desk-based suburbs resident actually get an old oil drum from?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Garages buy lubes in oil drums

NT

Reply to
NT

I have a few. Try the nearest farm.

Burning plastic containers has been banned. I don't know if this extends to domestic premises.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Cast iron chimenea set in the ground with tangential air supply to make an air curtain incinerator?

I've done this with a 10" ss flue and an earlex vaccuum cleaner but it produces a snow of ash flakes.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

course !

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Aldi/lidl (one of them) have the metal bins for £20 at the moment according to a neighbour.

You can use the drums from an old washing machine if you can scav one before the scrapmen do. Stand one on top of the other. (The glass door makes a good dog bowl too)

Reply to
mogga

24 Oil Drum Lane, Shepherds Bush
Reply to
Graham.

A blob of EML works well, but only lasts a year or 2. Do something similar with rebar mesh or chicken wire and it'd last better.

NT

Reply to
NT

I've had one for about 10 years. It lives in the shed, so it doesn't get rained on, well at least it didn't until the last of the roofing felt blew off last year, and that's still something I need to fix...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's cheating.

Reply to