Hyper sensitive levels

Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels we DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the extent that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one end, it's enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we know, our levels wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change. So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up (they're an arm and a leg to buy!)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Presumably, the phial is nearly cylindrical rather than markedly barrel shaped like your average level.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Somewhere ages ago on the web I found details of how to make one yourself. Obviously, it involves grinding the bore into a very slight barrel. It was a *very* detailed article and seemed to make something with incredible sensitivity.

Reply to
newshound

Well here is a start

I have seen another article with pictures but don't have time to google now

Reply to
newshound

Cursitor Doom expressed precisely :

The tube just has a less pronounced curve on it. The less pronounced, the more sensitive and the more difficult and expensive to make.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Interesting! Bit like grinding a mirror for a telescope but thankfully not as demanding of time and skill!!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Modern spirit levels are just made that way for convenience. In days of yore, vertical and horizontals were acheiveded with a pedulum device. Far more acurrate and self calibrating.

Reply to
harryagain

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

I have an ex-WD level from some sort of gun mount. Calibrated screw adjustment for + - 25deg. (memory). Mounted on a ground steel strip, it makes a cheap level.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

One assumes it has something to do with the internal shape of the chamber where the bubble is and its calibration with the smooth underside of the unit. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

How do you check a horizontal with a pendulum?

Reply to
pcb1962

Using a right-angle.

You check the right-angle same way as with a level - flip it around the other way (horizontally or vertically but not both) and check for same reading.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

pythagoras or a square

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did it detail how best to capture the fish fart intact to use as the bubble in the level?

Reply to
Gazz

Naah, you just send the apprentice down to stores for one.

Reply to
Huge

And more difficult to use if you don't really need that accuracy - 'cos you can't see how unlevel you are unless you're virtually level.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Actually the calibration is the easy bit. Once you've got the bubble in the middle, flip the level around the other way and it should still be in the middle. If it isn't, there are a couple of set screws you can use to equalise readings.

I like the plumb bob and right angle idea; I'd never have thought of that. OTOH, finding a dead accurate right angle might then turn out to be equally as difficult and expensive as obtaining a precision level!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You just need a piece of string.. You divide it into eg 3 feet, four feet and 5 feet. Make a triangle and one corner will be 90 degrees. It works for any 3:4:5 triangle (for those who like maths 3^2 + 4^2 = 5 ^ 2).

Reply to
dennis

By Jingo! Good thinking, sir!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What Pythagoras worked out was that for any right-angle triangle A^2 + B^2 = C^2.

3,4,5 is just the first, and was known long before. There are others.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

How about using a straight rod or bar for the horizontal, and hang the plumb bob by two identical strings, one from each end of the rod. Attach a third string to the exact centre of the rod and hold this string up - the rod should hang horizontally.

Reply to
Dave W