Howto Remove labels from glass containers

Hi all there,
Maybe this is off topic but I wonder how can I remove the labels from glass containers.
Some labels are quite easily removed with hot water (i.e. Nutella glass :-)), some remain sticked to the glass even if I let the container boil in water.
Which kind of glue do they use in this case?
How can I remove it?
Many thanks.
Best regards, Stefania

Coat it with vegetable oil - some on the end of your finger will be enough.
Leave it for a day or so and the label will slide off.
It really does work with no effort, just time.
Mary

Alas, not for all labels. Some seem to be glued on with epoxy or something - it doesn't soften with heat, or succum to your mere plant oils.
I've found that a nice sharp knife, applied so that the edge is almost parallel to the glass, in a whittling motion works well.

I haven't had experience of every label in the world so I can't disagree. I never use heat. My gentle way is worth a try before taking physical action though, I think. The epoxy type ones must be quite unusual.

It must be difficult to get every trace off like that.
Mary

Possibly. I've used sunflower oil for a long time for delabelling stuff.

Actually, not. It's surprisingly fast. I think the knife edge deforms enough that it conforms to the surface a bit, rather than remaining absolutely straight - whatever, it's not too slow.
Try useing Brasso metal polish wadding, it works a treat, it also works on plastic without marking it.
Trevor
Bit of heat - gentle application of hot air gun
snipped-for-privacy@jpbutler.demon.co.uk wrote:

Lot of heat works well too. I put one in a kiln at 600C for a few hours. Label just vanished.

I use lighter fluid to remove sticky label glue (after the label has been soaked off). A ballpoint pen stain devil may do the trick too. If it is hot glue (hard plastic feeling, rather than sticky gum) it should scrape off in one lump with a knife.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

White spirit and nail polish remover seem good at this. Or you can buy "labelclene" liquid which does this job.
alex
--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer