How water cylinder stopcock location

I am replacing and moving my hot water cylinder.

Currently, the stopcock on the incoming gravity cold feed is placed higher than the top of the cylinder. In the new location, the only easily accessible position for the stopcock will be near the bottom of the cylinder.

Is this positioning going to cause me problems? I assume the original layout avoids having the cylinder empty itself if something fails in the incoming feed?

Vaci

Reply to
Vaci

Don't worry about it. What you should do, though, is use a quarter turn full bore lever valve, rather than a horrible gate valve that (a) will drip when turned off and (b) will work for all of a fortnight before seizing solid.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There is currently a gate valve. I wouldn't say it dripped when turned off, rather it gushes.

Needless to say, it's being binned....

Reply to
Vaci

You have found a source of high quality ones then? A fortnight is quite impressive for a gate valve!

I have also been a long time admirer of the manufacturing technique that allows the red tap head to shear off in your hand at times of maximum need, never during summer maintenance.

Reply to
EricP

Well, the fortnight does include the 14 days spent in the toolbox before fitting.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle