How warm should a house be?!

If only they'd taken a pressure cooker ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

We once spent a weekend in Tadcaster for that very reason.

Reply to
nog

Mary, I have tried. Nothing seems to go in and I have seven years experience of teaching thick adults how to breathe etc in the prison service. :-)

Some of her "gems" have been previously noted, including berating me for leaving switches on when there is no plug in the socket. Apparently, the electricity leaks out onto the floor.

When measuring a cabinet, she asked for a ruler (rule!). After trying it this way and that, she handed it back saying " this one's no good, the inches are too big." :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

You poor bastard, hope you recovered from the shock of going to a place where 99% of the population won't admit to outsiders where they live.

Despite the minor (and questionable to many) attractions of one of its breweries Tadcaster is a truly awful backward place, mainly it has to be said down to just one bloke who has somewhat of an interest in that brewery, and an aversion to anything post 1066 to the extent that he makes the Amish look like NASA rocket scientists.

Round wheels for instance only came into common usage in the past few months, electric lighting might be introduced in the next century and the internet is still a maybe for around the next millennium. Indoor privvies are the thing of the future and every peasants dream, but woe betide you ever try and submit a planning application for a scullery extension as the lord of the manor will automatically object. Indeed the last survey showed washing machine ownership was lower than in Albert Square E20 as most of the population still go down to the river and use a convenient rock.

The best parts of Tadcaster are the A64, A162 and A659 heading anywhere!

Reply to
Matt

Yep, I hear she crashed her scooter

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not so bad with sockets, but if you leave a bulb out the lectrickery can drip on your head.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I haven't seen any barmaids for many years so can't comment.

But I agree that Tetleys is no better than JS.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It is.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I prefer Ardbeg but I rarely remember to drink anything except with a meal :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Perhaps she's not as thick as the pupils you're use to

Everyone knows that.

Sounds about right to me.

I like your wife, she has a sense of humour. If only you could see it ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not from a table lamp. It wells up, dribbles down the side and stains the tablecloth.

Why they can't invent electricity which is lighter than air I don't know.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think the American stuff is, but you need more of it to make the little waterwheel thingies go round.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Perhaps you don't care about aesthetics...

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Well, there's an opening for an entrepreneur importer.

As for waterwheels, things must have changed since my days if you need elecricity leakage to make them turn. There has been a drought of course...

MAry

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

In the UK at least calling Centigrade Celsius is a relatively recent innovation possibly associated with the ISO conference of 1960 which agreed on the SI version of the metric system.

Quote from a (1973) reference book:

"The degree C is now known as Celsius instead of Centigrade because the latter name can be confused with 1/100 of a right angle which, in some continental countries, is known as a grade."

Reply to
Roger

Well, I was brought up on SI....!

But interesting to know the last part...thanks!

Reply to
Bob Eager

IIRC, the melting point of ice was moved by 0.1 degrees between the two scales, 0 Celsius is -0.1 Centigrade. Anyone confirm?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I was always given to understand that the term "centigrade" was merely a way to describe a temperature scale on which there were 100 degrees between the nominal freezing and boiling points of water.

Thus, the term Celsius is the correct name for the one in everyday use and defines the freezing point of water at 0 degrees.

Kelvin is also a centigrade scale, but with a different offset.

I used to have an old thermometer marked in Celsius and Réaumur. The freezing poin on both scales was zero, but the boiling point on the Réaumur scale was 80 degrees. I never knew why for sure. I believe it was French.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

snip

Centigrade was what I was brought up on. As a young man the only thing I knew about Celsius was that he was the idiot who had invented an irrational scale.

Actually I shouldn't have needed to go dipping into Parrish for information on the background to Centigrade. Collins dictionary (1986) has much the same.

"centigrade 1. another name for Celsius. 2.a unit of angle equal to one hundredth of a grade. Usage. Although still used in meteorology, centigrade, when indicating the Celsius scale of temperature, is now usually avoided in other scientific contexts because of its possible confusion with the hundredth part of a grade."

If you had tried that on my Physics Master you would probably have got detention. :-)

Almost certainly French I would think.

Reaumur didn't ring any bells with me at all but Collins had it listed - "named after Rene Antoine Ferchault de Reaumur (1687-1757), the French physicist who introduced it."

Reply to
Roger