How to unbond bond of induction hob to granite worktop

Ok I dont have access to this, email from son. They have an induction hob and the hob has been bonded to the work top at either side. Apparently its not silicon.

Any ideas on how to loosen the bond to remove the hob.

My understanding is hob has a metal lip that attaches to the worktop at the sides. The worktop is granite. Any prising to release it would crack the glass hob.

Reply to
ss

I have never heard of such a thing and think it is unlikely but it is just possible that a hob might be glued around the edge. Not a practice anyone would recommend. If it is so the adhesive could be anything. Granite fitters have their coloured paste adhesive/filler although many favour silicone. Could be araldite.

Anyway, penetrating oil could get underneath it - granite is porous. Heat from a domestic iron might have some effect.

TW

Reply to
TimW

It *is* bond is it? I used to think my kitchen sink was bonded to the worktop until I looked underneath and found that in fact it was fixed with several screw-up clips.

Just sayin'

John

Reply to
Another John

Warm it up with a hot air gun and see if it will soften...

Reply to
John Rumm

Normally it's either silicone or acrylic. Acrylic can be removed with a gro ut rake, or just a metal point in a handle. To use this, do _not_ try to pr y bits up. Hold the spike upright and run it back and forth rapidly over th e sealant, with enough pressure that it steadily breaks up. Again, do not u se the spike to dig with.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Granite is of course not porous.

Or try pixie dust.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stone sold as granite isn't necessarily granite.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Use a cheese wire. A thin steel wire with the ends wrapped round a dowel at each end, just work it from side to side whilst exerting tension on the wire .

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yebbut its not sponge either.

'Granite' is (one of several) igneous rock(s).

It forms from a molten pool

Like glass.

And that why we use it for workstops. Its not porous, it doesn't stain, its waterproof, its tough, it can be made smooth, and its chemically highly inert.

If somewhat radioactive ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the tips I have passed them on.

Reply to
ss

Why is he trying to do this? Which matters most here the hob or the work surface?

There may well be cunning metal clips underneath that only become obvious when you have partially disassembled the hobs electronics cage.

The metal lip may well be largely cosmetic top edge finishing.

Or scratch the granite worktop. A very sharp thin blade and/or the most aggressive organic solvent you can find might have some effect.

Ideally you need to know what sort of glue it is.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It does stain.

Reply to
Capitol

shouldn't do. If its actually granite

Marble stains...

I've never had a granite worktop stain tho

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some granites have tiny inclusions of reduced iron oxides which are capable of producing rust stains if kept wet for a long time.

Reply to
Martin Brown

FWIW, our induction hob is not fastened down at all. It's just very heavy ...

Reply to
Huge

arguably it comes already stained then!

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't this a fine line in the difference between porosity and permeability? Some granites will stain fairly easily and as far as joe bloggs dealing with a kitchen salesman its easier to ust tell him that it can stain and needs a sealer. If Granite doesn't allow stuff in how does it let Radon gas out.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The hob was imstalled by previous owner, so no idea what was used.

Reply to
ss

I'd cut under the edge with a scalpel.

Reply to
Huge

No. igneous rocks don't have voids. Permeability implies porosity.

The only voids you are likely to see in granite is where uranium has decayed to radon, and the holes would then be full of lead ultimately.

I simply dont believe that. I can find no evidence of it whatsoever/

and as far as joe bloggs

Mostly, it doesn't. Except from the surface

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher