How to secure trimmer joist to wall

Hi all

I am installing joist for new stairwell in extension.

I am trying to find out how to secure the trimmer joist to the wall.

Do I have to tie into the brickwork, or is there a hanger that I can use.

I have a hanger for connecting the other end to the joist.

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Cheesy

Reply to
Cheesy Moments

Pardon me. I've been a bit confused lately!

I think I actually meant the header beam. It's 1m long and running at right angle to joists...the bit you attach the stairs to...

Hope this makes sense.

;-)

Reply to
Cheesy Moments

You can. but I wouldn't. They stretch a little, and you may end up a little out of true, or worse still, creaking.

With stairs utter rigidity is the way to go. Either chase into the brick and mount on a concrete pad AND use a hangar to avoid it being pulled out, or use a post from below tied to the floor, and screw that soundly to the wall as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What sort of depth should I chase into? I was thinking about 100mm. I thought that would give more stability abd rigidity.

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Cheesy Moments

A diagrma might help to be sure of exactly what you are trying to do, but the short answer is that you can get heavy hangers designed to be rawl bolted to the face of a masonry wall that will probably do what you want.

Here is one I used for a stringer beam:-

John Rumm

New Extension Existing Building

|------|------|------------|---------------------------- Floor | | | | Joists | | | |Old Gable Wall | | | | | | |------------| | | |------------| | | | Header | | | | Joist | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Stair | | | | Well | |------|------|------------|----------------------------

(Not to scale.......obviously ;-) )

Hope this makes sense. I've never tried this before.

Regards Chris

Reply to
Cheesy Moments

So the left hand end of the header joist could sit in a conventional joist hanger nailed to the floor joist (or more likely a double joist I would guess).

The right hand end would be held by a shoe like that I described/pictured above. I expect there would also be a short floor joist or two that hangs from your header joist, and help carry the floor of the top landing area?

(Typically the stairs themselves are not usually counted as imposing much load on a joist anyway. Half the load will be carried by the floor below, and you don't tend to park heavy furniture permanently on stairs).

Reply to
John Rumm