How to scam even more money off your neighbours using Solar PV panels.

The PV produces dc, I'd have thought you'd rectify the generator supply to DC and stuff that into whatever synchronised inverter gadget was on the PV connection, much as with a battery supply; but I don't know and don't care.

I can't see the beef with this, it's a legal, albeit dubious, scheme set up by one's elected representatives. If you wanted to have a whinge about taxpayers' money being wasted, you'd be better advised to look at those elected representatives expenses. Then crack on with consultancy fees, non-executive directorships, wars of dubious legality in hot places with oil or strategic interests, the NHS serving all and sundry, industrial-scale benefit frauds, the appointments of contractors for public-sector works, etc., etc..

Reply to
Onetap

You could also power lights to shine onto the solar panels, and this might even be legal :-).

Reply to
Alex Selby

In the normal way. How do you think a DC PV panel feeds power into the grid anyway?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cadmium telluride.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course. Their immorality is already an established fact.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Put not profitable at current conversion efficiencies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well put; I was going to write "parasites".

Reply to
Huge

Do you? Anyone been slung in the chokey yet?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I take it you mean 10kWH.

Reply to
Tim Streater

bought

charger,

How much do you think 2-3kW generators cost FFS, cerainly nothing like the =A312,000 that a solar array does. Roughly a single PV solar panel will buy you your genset. Spend =A312,000 on a set and you'd be looking at a 100kW jobbie which would be a bit of a give away feeding in from a supossidly 3kWp solar installation...

There will be maintenace, electronics fails in that sort of timescale. Unless they stuff is well designed and engineered the stressed components will die. And of course one may well have to weed the PV panels and keep the dust and leaves off them.

As will all illegal acts, only if you get caught and succesfully presecuted. It would be fairly easy to only run the genset when the light level was above a threshold just to boost it to the rating of the PV installation. It would be pretty hard to detect by just looking at 1/4'ly meter readings.

TBH as I understand the current metering arrangements you probably don't need to throttle back the genset to prevent the peak power exceeding that of the installation, provided that the overall energy metered was sensible.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And while most other electronics have to be redesigned (becoming less reliable) to obey RoHS and WEEE regulations, photovoltaics are exempt

Reply to
Andy Burns

Why go to all that bother and losses through the charge-discharge cycle?

I'm sure there are more profitable frauds if you might be inclined to that.

Most householders will be on the sub 4kW prices and the meter fed from from the inverter will be the measure of how much FIT is paid, so tops of GBP1.70ish/hour in peak sunshine is available. There will be other metered installations in the area to compare against so the discrepancies will show up easily, in the same way the firm I work for was able to quickly establish when fuel was being siphoned from works vans.

How many people here had mortgages with MIRAS? Was this an immoral government subsidy housebuyers were ashamed of? Of course its effect was strange in that it benefited the growth of mortgage companies, profited banks, because it made large sections of the public big borrowers, and raised house prices at the expense of those people who didn't get onto the home ownership ladder.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

No need to with an asynchronous generator, just run an induction motor at a few % overspeed, the grid keeps it excited and in sync.

Far easier to buy the electricity from next door and trigger it with a photocell to feed the DC bus, better still if you are a landlord with more than one MPAN and a landlord's meter on each one.

I have an inspection pit on my property with exposed 3ph copper busbars

400mm down, In 35 years I have only known the electricity company to open it once and in the same period I have never been tempted to steal electricity from it. Mind unless memory plays tricks I think I paid 7p/kWhr for most of those years and it has risen to 13p now.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I though the spansih game was a load of old car batteries, set up to produce a similar voltage to the PV panels - charge overnight on cheap electricity and feed the DC into the inverters (ideally during the day!).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Vehicular electronics (and probably medical) are exempt too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Where did you get your degree Harry ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , harry writes

Mine has a DC output

Reply to
geoff

Well, they are criminals ...

Reply to
geoff

Harry could always drop his skidmarked undies and test whether the sun really does shine out of his arse

He might be surprised at the lack of result

Reply to
geoff

You saw it on the internet.

And?