How to remove wall fixing without pull down all the plaster

There are some wall fixings from a mirror the previous owners had up in our lounge. I'm about to remove them and realised the plaster has blown around them and am very wary of pulling down half the wall (I speak from past experience)

Has anyone got any ideas about the best way to remove the following fixings:

thanks

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Gently tap the head of the bolt and that should release the tapered collets inside the raw bolt fixing. Take the bolt out and then ease the fixing out with a screwdriver or the like.

If that fails..................Angle Grinder.

Reply to
Baz

Baz,

Thanks for that, the bolts came out quite easily with that technique.

Now what about the other fixings, the ones with the little picture of a fish on them? Should I try the same, there's nothing really to grab hold of.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Eternal damnation if you mess woth them.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Baz,

Thanks for that, the bolts came out quite easily with that technique.

Now what about the other fixings, the ones with the little picture of a fish on them? Should I try the same, there's nothing really to grab hold of.

Charlie

I thought that the top one was a clear rubber Sucker Hook thing. I don't know what that is, can you read the writing? Looking at it I would get a priest in.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Hmmm, that's the assumption I had made. Anything I can try? I want to decorate the room. Paint with PVA and fill?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

A Fischer Fixing of some type...

Reply to
AlanD

Try this pdf - it is Fischers cataloge

wonder if it is a screw in plasterboard fixing. Does it have what looks like a posi screwdriver slot in the centre? - if it has then you can just unscrew it (page 22 or so in the pdf

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Hi Malcom,

No unfortunately the end is flat.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Like what someone said earlier, angle grinder. Start by attacking the central rod. Is the dished washer below the plaster surface or above it? If above, carry on grinding until you have released the washer from the rod. If necessary grind away the washer completely. There will be some mess but eventually you should end up with a hole which can be filled. A standard 115 mm grinder will be a bit big, but should do it. If you have a "dremel" type mini-grinder, the reinforced cutting disks should do the job more delicately. I've never had that much success using grinding stones to remove metal, but an air powered die grinder might work here.

Reply to
Newshound

Oh crap, that wasn't what I expecting. Guess I'm going to have hire an angle grinder. The washer is just proud of the plaster surface.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Angle grinder + plaster = big mess, dust everywhere...

Is taking a hammer and bashing it an option, perhaps using some sort of punch? Pound until below the surface, firm up the cracked stuff with PVA, fill until even?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

As Newshound said earlier, hopefully I can remove the end of the central rod with the angle grinder and then the washer will come off. This way I won't have to touch the plaster with the angle grinder.

Might give it a quick pound though see if it budges.

Thanks

Reply to
Charlie

I gave up trying to carefull remove fixings and filling in the resultant holes and went all-out to just completely replaster from scratch:

"That's load-bearing wallpaper, that is"

I can understand if it's not a option though.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Holy Cow!!! No, not really an option - decorators coming Tuesday.

Reply to
Charlie