How to put up a curtain pole in this situation

I'm trying to figure out the best way to put a curtain pole up in my daughters flat in her bedroom. Basically as she is on the top floor with the rood slanting as it does it doesn't have the usual 3" clearance at the end of both ends as it blocked by some kind of triangular block. I'm no expert at describing as you can tell was the worst description ever made.

I'm trying to figure out what the best option of fitting a curtain pole/fitting up is ? given the restrictions.

obviously I have to get it close to the edge otherwise light and cold will seep through.

Suggestions greatly received :)

Reply to
Pete

If its a question of there not being enough lateral space its easy

put the mounting brackets in from the end, about an inch and the last curtain run outside the bracket. That serves to anchor the outside curtain edge at the very limit of the pole

Ive got all my upstairs ones done that way because all are in alcoves only as wide as the window frame

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If its a question of there not being enough lateral space its easy

put the mounting brackets in from the end, about an inch and the last curtain run outside the bracket. That serves to anchor the outside curtain edge at the very limit of the pole

Ive got all my upstairs ones done that way because all are in alcoves only as wide as the window frame

hello np

thanks for the post :)

would that not leave aa gap on the ends for light to creep through ?

Reply to
Pete

No, put the last curtain ring (or two) OUTSIDE the bracket. The curtain will hang from that then, right to the end of the pole.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought the black out ended years ago. B-)

With the bracket spaced a little in from the end of the rod and the first ring fitted between the wall and the bracket it's as good as it going to get.

If you want to retain the finials on the rod then you have little option but to have a gap down the sides roughly the width of the finials.

If your daughter really must have blackout conditions then perhaps a roller blind that runs in channels down each side is a solution, with the pole and curtains on the room side to make it less stark.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

En el artículo , Pete escribió:

I've just put up a pole exactly in the way TNP described, in a square bay with the window filling the bay, and used eyelet-top curtains with the end eyelet on the wall side of the bracket. Looks good and no light leakage.

The pole came with finials which I didn't use, just cutting the pole so it filled the bay wall-to-wall.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I thought the black out ended years ago. B-)

Hehe she works nights as a SHO at Guys and sleeps during the day and has turned a little sensitive to the days. I guess the bodies nocturnal settings have been disrupted.

With the bracket spaced a little in from the end of the rod and the first ring fitted between the wall and the bracket it's as good as it going to get.

I see what you mean now, I had in my head about the finals not going on etc. But I guess its not all going to fit. I think I should ask her if she'd prefer a blackout blind as you suggested would be a better fit and be nice and dark for her.

If you want to retain the finials on the rod then you have little option but to have a gap down the sides roughly the width of the finials.

If your daughter really must have blackout conditions then perhaps a roller blind that runs in channels down each side is a solution, with the pole and curtains on the room side to make it less stark.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Pete

Curtains lined with a blackout interliner can be just as effective. Provided there is a decent "bunch" left at the side of the window when the curtains are closed, that seals the light.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Fair enough. A little bit of daylight doesn't bother me but I know that some people can't sleep unless the room is pitch black. How they get by when traveling long distances I don't know...

Might be the time of year, I sometimes get woken by the dawn before

0500 at this time of year, I check the time roll over and go back to sleep. I find mid winter awful when it doesn't even think about getting light until gone 0800.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yep. Cant remember the overall material width for a pair of curtains spanning X, but I think its supposed to be at least 1.5X, and 2-2.5X is better. Ask a drapers or interior designer. Its 'common knowledge'

Interlining and lining massively increases opacity. I am not convinced that colour plays much part.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fair enough. A little bit of daylight doesn't bother me but I know that some people can't sleep unless the room is pitch black. How they get by when traveling long distances I don't know...

Its a little weird how some need pitch black. I can sleep with the sun shinning in my eyes :) .. Some years back when she went back packing after university she must have been a barrel of laughs come sleep time. Her brother has taken after me and can sleep sitting up while pretending to listen to hsi mum/ my wife lol. I've taught him well.

Might be the time of year, I sometimes get woken by the dawn before

0500 at this time of year, I check the time roll over and go back to sleep. I find mid winter awful when it doesn't even think about getting light until gone 0800.
Reply to
Pete

Agreed strongly about blinds with a blackout material lining. But how about roman blinds? That is what we have just recently done and they work brilliantly.

Reply to
polygonum

Despite trying various solutions I've still not managed to find a reasonable blackout solution that still allows me to have some air circulation (ie a window open). Can't stand a stuffy bedroom, that'll just as easily wake me up as the light,

Reply to
DavidM

Eyeshades (we're still using up our stock of BA ones). And have the window open. S'what we do.

Reply to
Huge

I have a stock of those eyeshades, too - including a few from free upgrades to Club Class. Very handy, they are.

Reply to
S Viemeister