How to insulate my house walls insulated

Hi all,

I want to get my house walls insulated. Half of it has solid stone walls. The other half has cavity walls. I was hoping to get a grant to get the walls insulated. However when a company came to look at the place, they discovered that the cavities have "already been insulated" so I am not eligible for a grant.

Actually, the only insulation in the cavities is some fairly useless 1" thick polystyrene sheet, which is a waste of time, because it's not enough to stop air movement within the cavity.

When I asked about paying for the work out of my own pocket, they said they still won't do the job because they can't be sure what chemicals were used for the original insulation and there could be some reaction between the chemicals they use and the old insulation material. This sounds like pure nonsense to me.

I pointed out that half the house is built of stone, and they said, "We have to do at least 75% of the property"!

I would have thought that some company or other would be willing to come along and pump polyurethane expanding foam into my cavities, regardless of any thin polystyrene sheet that's in there. This would fill up the air gaps so that there is no more air movement, and I'd get some degree of increased insulation.

Can anyone advise th best way for me to proceed to get this sorded out once and for all?

Many thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x