how to get garage wooden door frame off?

What's the best way to get a partly rotten wooden garage door frame off, so as to be able to replace it? I think it's been there since the 1930s, and can't see any obvious places where screws have been filled on top of. I'm scared that if I just whack it with a heavy hammer, I'll bring bits of the brick wall away with it.
Thanks!
Michael

Before any one says it
Angle grinder
run down between the brick and the frame form inside and out
should cut through any fixings
On 31/05/2011 17:30, TMC wrote:

Could also inflict severe trauma if the disc catches on anything.

On 31/05/2011 16:35, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

If you can get a spade in between the wood and the brickwork, use that to lever it away from the wall, working your way up and down. It is a lot more controllable than a hammer and gives you better leverage than a crowbar. Any fittings are probably well rusted and should just pull out.
If you can't get the spade in, try tapping a bolster chisel into the gap to open it up first.
Colin Bignell
On 31/05/2011 16:35, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Prolly nailed in with cut clasp nails, bugger to get out.
Cut through with a handsaw at 18" intervals, then knock the sections sideways - that will tell you where the nails are. Then long pry bar.

Yep, same way you take any frame out
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Get the wife to reverse the car into the garage for you:-)
--
Adam

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote :

There will be fixings somewhere. Have you tried a small metal detector to try to find the screws/ bolts?
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Angle grinder.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

If the brickwork is that 'delicate', then as Harry as suggested, lever the frame off the wall slightly (just enough to slide a hacksaw blade between them) with a crowbar, and using a hacksaw blade slipped into a padsaw handle [1] [2], locate and cut the fixings.
Now as the garage is slightly 'ancient', then the fixings will be of mild steel nails or screws - and not the hardened exotic fixings of today, and should be easy enough to cut.
[1] That's the health and safety way of today, I simply use a pair of leather rigger's gloves and use the hacksaw as it is - I lost my padsaw handle years ago down a bloody wall cavity.
[2] Or if you possess such an animal, use a powered Alligator saw with a metal cutting blade.
Cash