How to fix plastic part

Any ideas how to fix this, it looks like originally it was held together by 2 plastic lugs. and one has broken off. the diamater of the hole is approx 12mm. In simple terms I want to glue them back together, the cap must be able to turn when working. I dont have access to the internals.

ss

In even simpler terms you haven't a snowballs chance then!

Get inside it or scrap it, or a more likely scenario is get inside it, then scrap it.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

?...don?t have access to the internals...?

I think you?re going to struggle unless the rotational torque requirements are very low.

If you knew more about the construction of the spindle one might consider drilling and tapping a small hole down the centre of the spindle and fitting a screw (self tapping or machine depending on materials) through the knob into the spindle.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If a replacement part is unavailable or overpriced, a screw through knob & underneath plastic thing would likely be best, but you would need to at least look under there to see if anything important or live is in the way. Doesn't look like a robust design, maybe a 1950s Kirby would be better.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Personally I dont hold out much hope but will give something a go before I bin it. Annoying thing is I had a spare and I sold it on ebay a few weeks back :-(

Reply to
ss

Araldite and file it to size, but it will always be stiff and a little wonky. The problem with plastic is that it does go brittle with age, so whenever thinking about fixing it, its a good idea to make sure its not going to break somewhere else. Obviously cannot see the picture but as has been said a tiny screw glues in etc is probably the best way, till you get a new unit or try to fashion a whole new part. Things like printers tend to be made with all but the obviously major parts unchangable. The usual failures are teeth off nylon gears and those belt things often used for moving parts of the mechanism which break and seemingly have no way to replace them without breaking the unit! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

nearly fill the switch with arledite, so that the one remaining clip will just about hold it, then arledite it in place. Use it twice, and break it on the third go.

Reply to
misterroy

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :

For Brian's benefit...

It seems to be a plastic control knob, for an old Kirby cleaner. Maybe the knob to control the carpet cleaner's liquid tank on/off valve? Plastic knob seems to have a square socket in its base, to mate with two flat prongs poking up from plastic tank valve.

It is not at all clear what has actually broken.

From what I can see, I would suggest Araldite might do it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I assume a thin plastic lug has broken off.

File down the broken plastic lug remains. Construct a solid piece of material that fully fits the hole (taking into account you still have one lug. This will look like a cube. Glue one side of this cube to the exiting lug and another side to the bit where you have just filed the broken lug flat.

If you need a thin shim of metal to wedge the knob on to stop it falling off consider cutting up a drinks can with scissors.

Reply to
alan_m

I think one of the two plastic prongs is missing.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Araldiste is very poor on plastics.

Car body filler is somewhat better, but not a lot

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Solid plastic material

alan_m

Yes that could work, I like the idea with recycled plastic.

Reply to
ss

3d printer?
Reply to