How to Choose Energy Saving Light Bulbs..??

Overnight, the 2 20W bulbs (the philiips ones from morrisons) in the freezer behave the same. (when taken out and plugged into a socket 5 seconds later)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

ah, I guessed wrong. Thought maybe you were looking to make the worlds highest efficacy nightlighting system.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

B*ll*cks! 11W is about equivalent to 50W and 16W to about 80W (at most). These bl**dy equivalents are are lies!

I've yet to find a CFL that can match a 100W conventional bulb in output.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

There are many types of 100w conventional bulbs. I am quite sure you could find ones that are dimmer than a CFL if you look harder.

Reply to
dennis

Nope - the actual efficiency at that current is fairly poor. It causes fairly rapid electrode damage too, surprisingly. And if you heat the electrodes, the efficiency drops to zero, as they use several watts.

As for nightlights, I have on my todo list (not very high) to add 1 white LED per room, as emergency lighting, triggered when power fails.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

I fancy doing that down the stairs, one on each tread.

Reply to
Guy King

Hardly make it reasonable for CFL makers to compare output with a dimmer than normal bulb though, does it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I came up with a neat method of doing that. Into the diagonal bit of the stairs, route out a 10mm*10mm or so groove. Drill a hole per tread in this, all the way through, aimed down at the tread, 10mm dia, painted matt black internally. Place a 3.5mm mono switched socket in this hole, and wire up all the sockets in series. Feed with 20mA current limited supply, and wire up LEDs to 3.5mm plugs. This gets you replacable colour changable lights. Alas, I have no stairs :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

molex connectors would probably be cheaper and easier than 3.5mm plugs - see Big Clive's LED charm bracelet.

By design, or did the f*ck-up fairy get hold of the plans between the architect and the builder?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But really fiddly to put in. The advantage of 3.5mm plugs is that they are by nature round, and hard to get the wrong way round down a hole.

One floor level throughout.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

One LED wont get you very far, and if you want a few, RG&B is cheaper, higher efficacy, and no degradation.

The 3.5mm plugs are an interesting idea. I've been wondering about putting monochrome LEDs in here.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

One LED is just fine, for true emergencies, so you don't fall over stuff. And with a total household draw of 2W or so, can easily be supplied from solar.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

oic, _those_ LEDs. Not cheap. I would have thought you could do fluorescent for much less. I've also used VFD for nighlighting before.

NT

Reply to
meow2222