How quickly will a hot water cylinder rust when decommissioned

I've acquired a second hand Chelmer thermal store that was decommissioned a few days ago. Presumably if I leave it lying around I'm at risk of corrosion due to the residual water inside and lots of air... How quickly might I need to think about fitting this?

Reply to
ben

I thought these were made of copper or an alloy of same? Its not rust, but corrosion or indeed any damage near a seem that you need to be careful of. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Hot water cylinders are normally copper or stainless steel... so not much to worry about.

Reply to
John Rumm

There are some heating systems that incorporate a thermal store to make them more efficient. Often (galv) steel.

These would rust. Best dried out and seal up with some silica gell inside.

Reply to
harry