How not to do a basement extension

At what point does it stop being a basement extension and becomes mineral extraction?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Not that many architects make good project managers, people who have trained on from trades can be more aware of the games played in construction.

Couple that spring to mind , non passivated fasteners being used deeply internal to building, stockists were out of the right ones that morning and supervising architect had never seen correct item in flesh before.

Wrong blocks used in ground floor of block and beam construction flats, too lightweight, started crumbling overnight after first floor of reinforced concrete beams was lowered on. Demolish, start again

Next block was changed to timber frame, built on site, including roof trusses, wasn`t certified, had to get certified after completion.

Third block was timber frame from pre certified timber frame kit, completed by actual Project Manager , apparently running at around 15% of build cost, new P.M. was employed by new company that took over the bankrupt half done site.

Don`t get me started on "surveyors"

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I think you'd have to worry about concreting into the Victoria Line first :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

all that sounds sensible to me. I do wonder if anyone should have seen alarm bells at the inception. some buildings are n just not meant to have basements in any case. so what now? who is sueing who? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Me too. I was questioning whether they were competent to have terms like "management" and "investment" in their job titles!

Reply to
newshound

There tends to be a limit as to how much value you can add to a house in any particular area. This isn't South Ken, and spending too much would be silly. Although house prices are already silly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote: Although house prices are already silly. ;-)

That's what you get as a result of printing money instead of allowing the market to correct by banks failing.

Reply to
Capitol

No, it's a result of ever increasing demand for housing.

Reply to
Fredxxx

You can date it all back to Thatcher. ;-)

Selling off council housing and not allowing the proceeds to be used to build more. Makes it more profitable for private sector renting thus pushing up the price of houses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure how selling houses to sitting tenants increased demand on houses.

It is also well recognised, that houses in the private non rental market are more likely to be occupied than any other.

Reply to
Fredxxx

And, as successive governments have all failed to fix that, they've introduced other measures instead such as affordable housing and other schemes, which actually only makes the situation worse.

The only way to make housing affordable is to build enough of it, so it's not in short supply.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes of course. And no doubt it was also her fault that the rate of housing completions declined just as fast in the years before 1979 as it did afterwards, and that Blair and Brown commissioned lots of reviews of the housing market but delivered very little in practice on the supply side (but a vast increase in demand). So if you want to point fingers at the causes of house prices in London try looking also at the extra demand in the capital under NuLab.

Reply to
Robin

The US didn't get that result.

Reply to
john james

What I would welcome is a massive boost for single developers (ideally developer-occupiers, but I'm not sure how you regulate that):

1) Relaxation in planning rules to encourage sparse developments instead of crowding everything together; 2) Tax breaks.

Developer-occupier would have two advantages:

a) Variation of design and less clusters of ticky-tacky boxes;

b) Better build quality - less of this "it looks fancy until you get under the sink and wonder why the plumbing is so s**te and why do the floors bounce like they are full of woodworm?"

Reply to
Tim Watts

When there is a real problem with the lack of new houses.

Reply to
john james

Doesn?t explain why most of the first world has seen the same result, when plenty of them never had council housing or anything like it.

Reply to
john james

I hadn't heard of this until the other day, nor much idea what might come out of it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

Ere!, do some 'ave their own tube stations dawnn there ;?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Or massive immigration in the past decade. Take your pick.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I'm not convinced that any country has enough individuals who can be developer-occupiers to make any real difference.

And I am one myself.

Reply to
john james