How much harder is it to make a flat roof with a small slope?

I have a feeling lots of roofs are replaced when it is not required. A bloke comes round and tells them it needs to be done, or they do it as "we might as well" whilst doing some other work. My roof and neighbours is fine (about 80 years old) with rosemarys, so no reason others in the street would not be, but quite a few replaced with profiled concrete jobs. Many of these have loft conversions ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Yup common elsewhere in europe as well. It does require the tanking to be "perfect" though.

In in 80 is the minimum fall as required by the building regs. In practice a little steeper works better.

You can disguise the deck angle with the edge detail.

Reply to
John Rumm

oke comes round and tells them it needs to be done, or they do it as "we mi= ght as well" whilst doing some other work.

reason others in the street would not be, but quite a few replaced with pr= ofiled concrete jobs. Many of these have loft conversions !

I once overheard a roofer that had been asked to replace 4 slates - on a roof with no other slates already replaced - saying ooh you need us to reroof the whole thing. Its all about money, and screw the customer.

NT

Reply to
NT

Firring stips already mentioned. The other way is to add an extra row of bricks along the back. Now if you want a long lasting flattish roof, add 3 or 4 rows of bricks, use asbestos replacement flat sheet to roof it, then add roof tiles on top. That really lasts.

NT

Reply to
NT

Can you get tiles for such a gentle slope? I'd have thought rain could get blown between them too easily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The point is to use ordinary roofing tiles. Rain does blow in, hence the asbestos or similar underlayer. The asbestos (etc) solves the issue of the tiles (rain gets blown in), and the tiles solve the issue of the asbestos (fragility). Result is a shallow sloped roof that can last a lifetime and looks ok.

NT

Reply to
NT

But how do you waterproof the joints between the asbestos sheet - even if you could get hold of it these days?

It's not normally the look of a flat roof that most object to - more its life, if badly made.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

just overlap them. Underneath the tiles there's very little wind.

modern asbestos-like sheet is fiberglass in cement

hence this trick. Its not the cheapest way to do it in the short term, but it does last.

NT

Reply to
NT