How much do they charge to fit guttering? (So I can wok out whether to DIM)

Does anyone have an idea of how much tradesmen typically charge to replace the guttering on an average 3-bed semi?
I'm trying to work out whether I want to attempt it myself. (I hate heights, so I'm not at all keen)!
THanks

At a very rough guess 1000 + scaffolding (maybe 4-500). But, depends on the length of runs etc. Are you expecting them to do the fascia, soffits and guttering? Do they have easy access? What style of guttering? Solid replacement fascia or cladding? How much remedial work on rafter tails?
Its a tricky one but I've just had a quote of 1250 for everything on a 4 bed detached. I could do it for less but have more important stuff to get on with (and I hate heights as well)

Thanks to everyone for the replies. To answer the above: I don't want new fascias or cladding. I just want the old cast iron guttering replaced with new plastic guttering and downpipes. The house is on a hill, so some of guttering is up to 4ft higher than usual above ground level.
My other option is to get the existing cast iron guttering reparied. The only real problem with it is the corner pieces which have become detached from the straight runs. I guess that would be the cheapest option if I can find someone to do it. I'd DIY, but it's just to high up at the back of the house. I'd be petrified and too shakey to operate.
On the other hand, if I could get hold of one of those mobile hydraulic lift things that they use for changing tall street lamps, I'd be OK.... I wonder if you can hire those things. Anyone know how much they cost to hire?
Thanks
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:23:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ydbttvou.com (Kat) wrote:

One of my brother's neighbours did this to paint his house. No idea of the cost but it was impressive to watch him paint the whole length of the house without all the shifting of ladders. I guess www.yell.co.uk would be your starting point.
Id get the cast iron stuff repaired... no way would i put plastic up if cast is already there! it will last much much longer. i had plastic stuff on my house that was put up 14 years ago and its badly faded and loose. im looking at replacing with cast iron as per what was originally there. as long as cast is maintained it will last absolutely ages.... how long do you plan to keep the house?
Steve

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:16:34 -0000, "r.p.mcmurphy"

Thanks for the input. I'm inclined to agree. I'm planning to sell the house as soon as all the work is completed (in 3 months time).
"Kat" wrote | Thanks for the input. I'm inclined to agree. I'm planning to sell the | house as soon as all the work is completed (in 3 months time).
Then pay a man with a ladder to stick the cast iron corners back on and squidge mastic in any leaks. A surveyor is unlikely to get up a ladder so as long as it looks tidy from ground level it'll probably pass muster.
Owain
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:56:58 -0000, "Owain"

That's exactly what I'm thinking now.... Might even last longer than a "plakkie" gutter.
Happy Crimbo!
"Kat" wrote | The only real problem with it is the corner pieces which have | become detached from the straight runs. I guess that would be | the cheapest option if I can find someone to do it. I'd DIY, | but it's just to high up at the back of the house. I'd be | petrified and too shakey to operate. | On the other hand, if I could get hold of one of those mobile | hydraulic lift things that they use for changing tall street | lamps, I'd be OK.... I wonder if you can hire those things. | Anyone know how much they cost to hire?
You can hire them (they're called cherry pickers) - see Access Equipment in Yellow Pages. I think they would be even more scarey than a scaffold tower. At least scaff towers don't move. But then I'm the sort of person that feels sick and has to sit down just watching some of the fairground rides.
If you'd hired one before chrimbo though and done the job in a Santa suit, you might have got a crowd of admiring wee kiddies and your photo in the local paper :-)
Owain
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:20:45 -0000, "Owain"

Come to think of it, that's probably true since thwy probably wave around in the air somewhat. Trouble is, I can't get easy access with a tower scaffold sonce theres a downhill pavement at the edge of the house and a ground floor extension at the back. It looks like a ladder or cherry-picker job (since a full conventional scaffold is more than I want to get into).

I'l prolly get that anyway, knowing the nosey parker mentality of my district.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:20:45 -0000, "Owain"

Is this what you mean?:
http://www.hss.com/Fae.asp?sysPage=wsHomePage&wsCountry=UK&sysLanguage =[BASE]&resetToGroup=YES
That's the item I was referring to... Then even more wobbly, perhaps, there are the scissor lifts:
http://www.hss.com/Fae.asp?sysPage=wsHomePage&wsCountry=UK&sysLanguage =[BASE]&resetToGroup=YES
I've never actually tried either. Has anyone here? They seem expensive to hire though.
"Kat" wrote | >>| On the other hand, if I could get hold of one of those mobile | >>| hydraulic lift things | >>You can hire them (they're called cherry pickers) - | Is this what you mean?: | http://www.hss.com/Fae.asp?sysPage=wsHomePage&wsCountry=UK&sysLanguage =[BASE ]&resetToGroup=YES | That's the item I was referring to... | Then even more wobbly, perhaps, there are the scissor lifts: | http://www.hss.com/Fae.asp?sysPage=wsHomePage&wsCountry=UK&sysLanguage =[BASE ]&resetToGroup=YES
They're the same URL (the main page for HSS). The site uses frames.
What I was thinking of seems to be called boom lifts in HSS-speak, though I couldn't be bothered to wade through their website treacle.
Owain
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:31:52 -0000, "Owain"
So it is - sorry about that - I wasn't aware.

Yes. Actually, contrary to what I said, 151 for a day's hire is probably much handier than having a scaffold erected.
"Kat" wrote | >>What I was thinking of seems to be called boom lifts in HSS-speak, | Yes. Actually, contrary to what I said, 151 for a day's hire is | probably much handier than having a scaffold erected.
If you do get it, plan your work and materials to make the most of the day's hire. Obviously check and clean the gutters, visible wonky slates etc., but also think about bargeboards and upstairs window cleaning / painting, outside lights, etc.
Owain
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:54:41 -0000, "Owain"

Great suggestions - thanks. I have to paint the whole rear of the house too, which I can't get at via a ladder, so it'll be a boon for that too. All I need is a vehicle with a tow bar with which to get the thing to my house. I'm working on that...
In the North... o 3-bed semi-detached o Removal of all old guttering (cast-iron brackets & uPVC) o Replacement with unpainted black uPVC guttering o Four quotes ranging from 450 to 550 inc VAT
The latter being an industrial place (Warrington, Cheshire). That doesn't include painting bargeboards incidentally.
Quotes were for insurance claim, storm ripped the neighbours off and took mine with it, sending it through a garage roof too.
All tend to club-hammer the old brackets off, so DIY might be able to do it more neatly with extra brackets around joints. Hiring lifts protects pebbledash & frames from ladders BTW.
If you want stainless fasteners for DIY, www.a2a4.co.uk
--
Dorothy Bradbury

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:10:09 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury"

Nice tips - thanks!

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:57:02 +0000, Kat wrote:

I have been quoted 550 for guttering, soffits and facias, all plastic, recently. Semi detached Worcester area.
Dave

@ydbttvou.com says...

I'm good with heights but I bought a cheap ladder and didn't use a stand-off, which made it interesting at times. If you decide to DIY get a good ladder or a scaffold tower.
Rob Morley wrote:

I recently saw a couple of guys from a window replacement company swapping out a large 1st floor bay window using an extraordinary contraption comprising two normal extension ladders, one either side of the bay, and a large horizontal platform apparently attached to the ladders at the front, and supported at the back by a large metal adjustable strut angles downwards towards each ladder, attached to it about 6-10 feet lower down the ladder. I've never seen the like; I'd have thought it highly dangerous and unstable but these guys seemed quite happy; the company was a bona fide outfit, and the struts/platform were obviously 'genuine', not home-made bits and pieces. Anyone else seen this kit?
David