How many people does it take to change a light?

There are more modern alternatives to HPS. Still a discharge type, but more akin to film etc lighting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I presume you mean HID.

Nothing hits the efficiency of LPS yet, but its pure yellow light is hardly ideal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I meant to say I wonder why they don't combine LPS with LEDs in 2 colour channels. Then one could have LPS only, yellow of course LPS & LED for most efficient white light, or yellow-white for better efficiency LEDs only for short term controllability.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They threw the towel in too soon. If they had hung on until Oil reached $140 then I suspect the USSR would still exist now.

Reply to
Andrew

Very true - and it's extremely narrow band light. Not ideal for making things stand out from a background.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah well - lots of people having LED PIR Floodlights on their houses to light up the houses across the street - and the surrounding air. Near me is a house facing a junction which is shining straight into my eyes as I approach the give-way line. Who are the idiots that fit them?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Often it might be the householder or, if not, probably the householder adjusts the direction of the light afterwards without any thought for unwanted (and dangerous) light spill outside of their properties.

Also it is common to wind up the trigger sensitivity much higher than is needed. Where I used to live, there was hardly a street you could walk down at night without a blinding light coming on every few yards!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Huge was thinking very hard :

It certainly is horrifying. Our council spent many millions of pounds and so far has taken two years, during which they have caused traffic chaos, which has cost individuals millions more in lost time and on a main heartery road. Why, some councillors pet project to install a cycle lane into the city centre. It is mostly completed, but I have yet to see a single cyclist using the route.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Terry Casey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Not many householders can climb steps to reach. I think it is the installers who think they have to create an impressive light show.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They swapped the heads on my local street lights to LEDs a few years ago. There have been a few failures in the last couple of days. Presumably the driver has failed (flashing lights) and no doubt this will require a full replacement of the head.

A separate driver at the bottom of the post would have been a better idea.

Reply to
ARW

I would have expected these to be HPI lamps. A metal halide lamp that can sometimes be run from SON control gear.

Reply to
ARW

Reasonably continuous spectrum discharge types have been around for a long time now - for film etc use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

NT

Reply to