How long to change a CH and HW programmer

Just had a phone call (customers really do phone up at 8.40pm on a Sunday evening) to ask me if I can sort out their new CH programmer. Apparently their old programmer failed and their electrician swapped it for a new one on Friday. After 5 hours of trying to wire it up he gave up and left them with a £150 bill and an incorrectly working CH/HW set up.

It is up to the customer to decide if they pay his bill or not. I will be calling around tomorrow afternoon to try and sort out the problem. Well I am a betting man, so I have told the customer £60 if I fix it in the first hour (plus parts) or I will do it for free. I will get double my money if I am successful. And it is a not a one sided bet, the customer was offered £30 for the first hour but he thinks that I cannot do it.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I guess you need to know more about the type of system The some control manufacturers have good diagrams of various setups (single / double channel, etc

Reply to
John

Have you ever seen

in my van in laminated copies:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Easily within an hour IWHT

Quite important is whether the backplates are the same. If so, it's trivial, otherwise

isolate electrically unscrew wires remove backplate fit new backplate work out where the wires go replace timer ask customer what times he wants on the timer

collect £60

Reply to
geoff

Having retired I don't get those calls any more I'm pleased to say!

to ask me if I can sort out their new CH programmer. Apparently

You should win hands down but have you any exclusions for the backplate mounting screws needing some serious remedial work if the wall crumbles away? :-) (You may also need to put back connections the other guy has totally cocked up)

John

Reply to
cynic

Try 15 minutes:-) All I needed to do was swap the HW ON and CH ON around and switch the programmer over to gravity fed. A bit of an odd setup but nothing I have not seen before. That will be £60 thank you very much.

The thud you heard was the customers jaw hitting the floor.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I bet there will be some "debate" with the original installer

Reply to
cynic

I bet there will be some "debate" with the original installer

And why not. The customer is happy with what I have done and very unhappy with the original installer. If there were unexpected problems then it is only fair to tell the customer and warn them in advance that it will cost more money. In this case the installer just did not understand what he was doing.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Was the guy who changed it originally an actual electrician or a 'heating engineer' After all that's what dribble claims to be and couldn't be trusted to change a fuse...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But this picture of Drivels work is worth the memory.

who changed the original programmer though.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

bit fits?

The mind boggles. In the time he took he could have tried all the wiring permutations...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My best guess is that he did try all electrical permutations apart from the one on the programmer that switches the programmer between fully pumped and gravity fed.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My best guess is that he did try all electrical permutations apart from the one on the programmer that switches the programmer between fully pumped and gravity fed.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , ARWadsworth scribeth thus

Yes that pix has been doing the rounds, it was attributed to some squaddies fixing up power in Afghanistan so they could get some TV to work!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Are you saying that Drivel in in the REMEs?

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Part of the fire fighting team. Nothing burns when he is around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)