How far would a car run on the battery ?

String, piece of, how long? I've had to do that more than once and can tell you that an old points-ignition system that draws 4A will exhaust a battery in 6~10 hours, depending on condition. Electronic ignition isn't too different, really, in many cars might be more or less power-hungry, depending on design.

Diesels traditionally used a mechanical stop lever on the pump (operated by a cable), so once they were running, they'd run until the tank ran dry. Diesel cars of up to ~12 years ago had a simple electrical stop solenoid, which would draw a couple of amps, so on a par with the old points ignition, if that's all that's running. Modern diesels will draw a lot more, with their extra pumps and kit and caboodle, and I'd not be surprised if the current draw is well above 10A. Of course, some modern cars have electric power steering, so all bets are off, even if it only works on the non-ahead position, it's still a substantial drain and the difference it makes to the journey length might be enough to leave the car stranded. You don't really have a choice over the use of the engine cooling fan either, and there are a lot of circuits drawing current on a modern car, compared to the bare necessities that you could get away with.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I didn't see this until someone reposted it.

The trick is to select first gear. And hope you don't have an interlock.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In message , Graham. writes

1st, surely (most engine revolutions for least distance moved, so easiest on the starter). You use top gear when pushing/rocking the car back and forth to free a jammed starter dog, or to turn the position of engine over when setting valve clearances (etc).

If it's a manual, and the clutch is working, crank the engine on the starter, and use the clutch as usual. If it's automatic, I doubt if you use the starter. In emergencies, not many people realise that you can probably use the starter to get yourself out of immediate danger.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Or if the clutch plate has seized 'engaged'. Or if the clutch cable has broken.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Yup. haven't had a cable clutch for years tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's a clutch? (1)

I used to have a Bedford HA van with a cable operated clutch. The cables were supposedly "fit and forget". You fit them after they forgot to tell anyone that they weren't actually lubricated from the factory. They lasted a lot longer when I started greasing them before I installed them.....

Reply to
John Williamson

I once had a Chevette, and unlike Anglias and Cortinas, it was almost impossible to change gear without a working clutch. I was led to understand that they had a reputation for clutch cable problems, so I carried a spare - but never needed it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I remember seeing a pro-rally equipped Cortina. There was a spare clutch cable taped in alongside the working one, for a quick change.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Did any Cortina have a cable clutch? Mk 1 and 2 didn't, but maybe 3 (and

4?)?
Reply to
Ian Jackson

when i think more about it, the car might have been a Escort RS.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Reply to
Ian Jackson

If it's an auto get out and push. It won't crank fast enough to get anything useful past the torque convertor[1]. IME they all have interlocks anyway.

Andy Out of date experience :)

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Why would that be?

I had a Bedford HA van, and it was easy to change gear without the clutch, if you had the skills. One of the sweetest gearboxes I've ever had

- you could flick it from gear to gear as fast as you wished with virtually no effort.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was once adept at changing gear without a clutch but found that some vehicles made it easy while others were a pig. I put it down to different types of syncromesh but then what do I know.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

Certainly the Anglia and the Cortina were very easy and very forgiving (good old Ford!). My Chevette and 2004 Astra were impossible without serious grinding noises. I've had three Focuses (including the present one) - but I can't say I've seriously tried. However, I have a feeling that it won't be all that easy.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

different syncromesh arrangements on ford boxes. The synchro was slower but forgiving. Fastest box was the old minor box on Spridgets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Serious grinding noises merely means you haven't matched the revs to road speed correctly. Essential for easy changing without using the clutch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As far as I know all three use baulk ring synchromesh. Apart from very early Sprigets which had no synchromesh to speak of anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I know.

As I said, with the Fords I could change gear effortlessly. It was second nature. However, the Vauxhalls didn't really want to play at all. It was surprisingly difficult even to get out of gear into neutral, let alone get from neutral into another. I decided that in order to avoid causing needless damage, discretion was the better part of valour.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

its what is before the baulk ring that counts. Its going back aways but I THINK the ford had balls in a race springloaded to engage in splines, then BMC stuff had cones..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher