How do you pay in a cheque by post?

Odd question, isn't it.

Got an income tax refund in the form of a cheque.

Sent it off - as I've done for many years - by post to my bank (Barclays) branch with paying in slip.

Came back as address unknown.

They've apparently closed the Wandsworth branch. I've no idea which branch I'm now with.

Thought the Barclay's website would give an address for such things, if now a central one.

And you'd have thought they'd have had mail re-directed...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Put your sort code in here:

Richard

Or, if you prefer:

gives this: BARCLAYS BANK PLC 209069

Equivalent Codes:

20-90-69 20 90 69 WANDSWORTH LEICESTERSHIRE, LE87 2BB, Phone: (845) 7555555, LEICESTER England

BARCLAYS BANK PLC 209074

Equivalent Codes:

20-90-74 20 90 74 WANDSWORTH 2 LEICESTERSHIRE, LE87 2BB, Phone: (845) 7555555, LEICESTER England
Reply to
Richard

Is there a branch address on your cheques. What does it say on your statements?

Reply to
charles

Frankly I pop round to the bank, fill out the slip, put in the envelope and jobs done

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Really?

Reply to
Richard

Give them a chance, they only made ? 3.1bn profit for the first six months this year.

"Barclays bank has reported a 25% rise in statutory pre-tax profits to ?3.1bn for the six months to the end of June.

Where would they end up if they frittered it all away putting adresses on websites or arranging for mail to be re-directed ?

I used to pay off my Barclaycard and the odd bill at a branch

1/2 a mile from my house. Before that closed they'd already introduced nightsafe type things - you put the cheque and bill into their envelope - pull the handle - that's it. Once it closed I used the same thing at a main branch with no counter service to speak of. Blow me went to another branch I happened to be passing to do the same thing - luckily no queue at the counters "sorry sir we don't have (whatever they're called) in all our branches "

michael adams

michael adams

Is the issuing bank also Barclays, by any chance? If so, their smartphone app has a trial to allow paying in photos of cheques.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's what you get for banking with a major bank. Bugger all customer service. I moved to Nationwide years ago as they have local branches, local telephone numbers and actually answer the phone and are helpful(if incompetent at times). I tried to get service from HSBC recently, it was a hopeless situation. Call centre in India and an admin office in Birmingham which had lost all the information. The local bank employee said, I don't attempt to phone in if I'm sick, India just loses the call. I find my US bank far superior at customer service and they answer the phone 24/7 with a good attitude.

Reply to
Capitol

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 5:49:27 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote :

Don't pay in cheques by post. We get quite a few from out holiday leeting b usiness and the last two that I sent to my branch were interecepted in the post and stolen. One had the amount changed from £400 to £1400.

You would think this was hard to do with all the identity stuff you have to do to open an account. When I rang my bank, saying it was either them or G PO staff, they said definitely the latter.

However, my bank RBS and several others now have a very good paying in serv ice vie the local post office. It works fine and saves me driving 20 miles tyo pay in a cheque.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

You should be able to send it to any Barclays branch just as if you walked in the door.

Reply to
bert

Local Lloyds has an ATM which allows you to feed in your cheque and will read the actual amount written on it. Never had it fail - not that I've used it a lot.

Reply to
bert

In message , bert writes

I send mine to Barclays, Leicestershire, LE872BB with my branch (St. Albans) as a header.

The alternative is to drive to the Gorilla's armpit itself (St. Albans) and stick it in the branch post box!

My business accounts are with NatWest who still accept post at the branch.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You don't have to fill out a paying-in slip anymore in Barclays. You just give the cheque to the cashier and let them swipe your Barclays bank card to pick up your account details, and you get a printed receipt back.

I believe they're also trialing a scheme where you just take a picture of the cheque with your phone using their app, and they use just that digital image.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ah - Barclays are catching up. I've been doing this for years at my bank.

Reply to
charles

Why not pay it in at a Post Office?

Roger Mills

You can use the Post Office to pay into NatWest and Lloyd's accounts too.

Isn't there a smartphone paying-in app coming soon ?

Reply to
Reentrant

I've never filled anything out in my life. Filled in lots of things though.

Go to any Barclays Branch, they don't have cashiers any longer, they have machines that you put your card into, then push a wad of cheques into the slot (all oriented the same way). It reads them one by one and asks you to confirm the amount on each one, gives you a small photocopy of the transaction incl. each cheque. Job done.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They are hacking back their branches, from the 4th December this year the nearest bank branch of any variety will be 20 miles away and virtually no public transport. At the begining of the year we had two banks in town HSBC and Barclays. HSBC pulled the plug a couple on months ago, their ATM has gone. Barclays are pulling the plug so that machine will go. Just as well there is one down at the relatively new Spar but that's not in the town center but down (and I mean down about 100' descent/ascent) near the river.

Still have the Post Office for some counter based banking for some banks but the PO is probably under threat...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would be fine if I ever needed to visit my bank. Or any one, come to that. But I don't. And haven't for years. But I do have a post box at the end of my road. And stamps in my wallet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)