How do you pay in a cheque by post?

After queueing for 15 minutes, in which time you can fill in the slip and the envelope and push it in the letter box provided.

and let them swipe your

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you go down the Post Office route, you'll need Barclays envelopes. You can order some from 0800 169 3091. I thought I had to do this because I live in a rural area miles from the nearest bank - apparently I could have stayed in Tooting to get the same level of service!

Reply to
Nick
[20 lines snipped]

I wonder who those nice ladies are behind the counter in my local Barclays, then?

Reply to
Huge

I get (all too rarely) tax repayments direct to the bank account I told HMRC to use. Have you not been invited to do so or do you not trust them with your sort code and account number?

Reply to
Robin

Our local post office have supplies for several banks.

jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Not been asked, to the best of my knowledge. And of course they have my bank details - I was a freelance for years and paid my tax twice a year by online bank transfer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which is something I suggested many years ago that now seems to be coming true in that we don't need a branch of every bank in every village. The post orifice can cover them all which is good business for the PO.

Mind you if cash and cheques become a thing of the past, then what would be their reason to be?.

Other than a place old people can go to and gossip and pass the time of day ..

More like a financial cafe arrangement;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Which was true of my PO. It was only after some time I was told by the postmaster that he'd run out because he relied on donations of envelopes from customers.

Reply to
Nick

Yours is behind the times, dear boy. The Canterbury one hasn't had them for about a year. Well, there's one for foreign exchange, but that's all. Canterbury isn't our branch, which is why I know any branch will do.

Not that the concept of "our branch" has any meaning at all, these days. I recall the old days where if you went to another branch than your own to cash a cheque, they had to phone up your branch to confirm it was OK to cash it. And they then charged you a bob to do so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

HMRC aren't allowed to just use bank details you used to pay them to send money back to you. But if you are still required to make a return there's an option towards the end under "If you have paid too much tax" to give bank or building society account details for any repayment". Mind you that's only for income tax so even if you had (or have) done that it wouldn't work if your repayment was for other taxes or duties.

Reply to
Robin

I pay in my Barclays cheques at my village post office. Much quicker than driving into town, paying for a parking space etc. You need to put it in a special envelope, available at the PO for free; the PO issues a meaningless receipt, and that's it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I don't know.

I think my local collection point for one of the big parcel networks is the butcher.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Must be multiple ones, since I was in a different branch this afto and they had cashiers, too.

Reply to
Huge

Our branch hasn't any staff at all - it was closed last year.

Reply to
charles

These days they can use your bank details to remove any money from your account that they think you owe them, without asking permission from anyone. See under "Direct recovery of Debts".

Reply to
Big Les Wade

If HMRC get to that stage (which they can only do after jumping through a lot of hoops) do you really think they'd have trouble finding a UK account in the name of a UK resident taxpayer? I can see problems with DRD but I don't see it as a reason for an averagely compliant taxpayer[1] not to ask for repayments by BACS to an account rather than by payable order.

[1] or even an average behind-the-camera worker :)
Reply to
Robin

Got nowhere trying to find out the correct procedure via Barclays site. You'd have thought 'paying in a cheque' in their search box would have given a clue - but not.

Eventually made it to a branch. And talked to a human. Was told I no longer have a branch as such. And can post a cheque to any branch with pay-in slip and they will process it.

They took the cheque in question and the pay in slip and put them in a 'special' envelope with a tear off strip as a receipt. So much for the paperless revolution. ;-)

Both my cheques and pay in books have my old branch address on them. I take it when I need new ones, they'll be blank?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They should have told you when they closed it. I take it you never visit the branch that you are officially attached to by sort code?

Likely to be a much more frequent occurrence in future since NatWest are amongst others closing the one they used in their TV advert claiming that they would never close the last bank in town.

Sorry but their website is glacially slow!

They may have done for the first six months.

My business banking account provides prepaid envelopes for sending cheques direct to their central clearing centre.

Increasingly you can pay cheques in at branches without having to fill in any paper form at all. Bank card and PIN will do it scans the cheque.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Mine, not Barclays, have the data processing centre address

Reply to
charles

I suppose it's possible I missed a letter from them. I do still get paper statements, but often don't open them at the time as I look online. But I don't throw them away unopened, and no sign of a letter amongst them.

Only time I've visited the branch was to pick up an insurance policy that they had the physical copy of. My branch originally was a local one, and when that closed they transferred me to one I wouldn't have chosen, as there are several closer - and much more convenient to get to either by car or PT. But that coincided with the arrival of electronic banking, so having pretty basic finances had no need to visit the branch. Just sent any cheques etc to them by post.

Saw something like that at a local branch yesterday. But I'm happy to pay for a stamp. ;-)

It's just that there simply isn't what I'd call a handy branch for me. The nearest one is next to a medium Sainsbury which does have a car park, but so often full I can't be bothered with it. All the other reasonably local branches would require a special journey.

I'm told there is a phone app where you take a pic of the cheque. But although I do have a smart phone it's on PAYG with data switched off. Dunno if that app would work via my LAN. Ideally, I'd be able to scan the cheque on the PC and pay it in that way. Would save the price of a stamp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)