How do i protect the paint on my wall?

I have a wall by the back door which is always getting dirty (kids, dog, cat, etc). I have tried kitchen/bathroom paint which works for a short while but constant washing/wiping is damaging the paint.
I have been told to either use PVA or varnish. Will this work?
Is so which products should I use - I have seen PVA BOND is that the same as PVA glue and will they dry clear?
Sorry - theres quite a few questions in there.
DW

In my experience no matter what you use it will still ge dirty and need cleaning :-(
Mary

DW wrote:

Don't use PVA - it won't dry clear, and will look very odd. PVA is great, but not as a finish.
I recently tiled our ensuite. I wanted to protect the grout, and after asking for opinions here I tried out Lithofin Stainstop. This is a product meant for using on stone. It worked really well on grout. The treated grout is just totally non-absorbent.
I've since experimented with it on various surfaces, and I think it may be just what you're looking for. You'll end up with a wall that looks much the same, but will wipe clean. You will probably need to re-apply every few months.
<http://www.lithofin.de/products.asp?pkid=3
--
Grunff

Do you mix it with the grout before application, like if you were adding pva to a cement or plaster mix? Or is it wiped on after the grout is applied? Surely this would mark the tiles?
Alex
Alex wrote:

> Surely this would mark the tiles?
I brushed it onto the gout after it had fully dried. I then wiped off the stuff I'd got on the tiles (very easy, no marking). I can't believe how good the result is. The treated grout is strongly hydrophobic. Water just beads on it, but doesn't wet it. And it looks *exactly* the same as the untreated grout elsewhere in the shower room. Big fan.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Nowithstanding the dubious use of PVA to treat a medical condition, surely it should be applied wet?
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

C'mon - you are the *last* person I'd expect to comment on spelling mistakes! ;-)
I didn't use PVA, I used Lithofin Stainstop. This is a siloxane based waterproofer, which comes dissolved in an organic solvent. So you wouldn't want to apply it wet.
Some pics + writeup here: <http://diystuff.co.uk/index.php?p=3
--
Grunff

What spelling mistake? He was concerned about your health and well-being - as are we all :-)
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

:-)
--
Grunff

well-being -

Haha, I just spent the last minute sitting here feeling like a complete idiot, thinking that I had spelt cement or plaster wrongly. I actually started to come out in a hot sweat wondering how stupid I could be, before realising it was the 'gout' reference (I suppose that confirms my stupidity!)
Alex

It was a spelling mistake?
Oh calamity - that confirms everyone else's stupidity!
Mary

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:30:47 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Alex"

I suppose another pointer would have been that the reply by TNP was in reply to Grunff, not actually in reply to your posting.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

LOL! Is it licensed?
Mary>

This sounds great - my kitchen and en-suite both have new tiles with nice white grout and it would certainly be a good idea to protect this.
Where did you buy yours from, and how did you apply it - with a brush or sponge? Was it expensive?
Thank you!!
Jonathan
Jonathan wrote:

Hmm, where did I buy it...
I called the Lithofin office, and they gave me the name of a place that does it mail order. Carpricorn something or other. It was about 35 for 500ml including delivery - that sounds expensive for 500ml, but is cheap for the result you get - and I've got plenty left fro doing the kitchen grout when that's done.
I applied it with a brush.
In case you don't read the other post, some pics here: <http://diystuff.co.uk/index.php?p=3 .
--
Grunff

I've just had a delivery today. Ordered from www.extensive.co.uk. The box had "Delivery Failed: Premises Closed 13-04-04" written on them, so I suppose the wife must have popped out yesterday...
It's around 30 quid a pop. heaper for a water based version, but that might not be as effective.
They also sell genuine brick acid ("Cement Away"), which I had difficulty buying from the sheds as they now only seem to stock rebadged water instead. Having struggled with all sorts of chemicals since I moved in, it cleaned the toilet in about one minute and it is now spotless.
Christian.

I should say that one pop is approximately 1000ml. Excluding delivery, which would be free on 2 litres.
Christian.

Thanks very much to both Christian and Grunff, I shall be ordering mine shortly. I'll let you know how I get on!
Cheers,
Jonathan

You could try using acrylic paint, rather than vinyl. Sometimes sold as "low odour/quick drying eggshell". You could even try that "Realife" paint they're pushing at the moment.
Myself, I just keep a tin of every paint I use. I go round every six months and touch up any dirty patches.
Christian.

"low
months
Every six months! Heavens. We don't paint more than once every two decades. And then only if it needs it. And there's nothing more exciting to do ...
Mary