How do I give a sponge bath to a bear ?

No, really.

A fluffy toy bear, that is. Two feet high, two feet wide :-) with fully synthetic fluffy fur that used to be white and now has accumulated dust and general grubbyness after sitting on top of a cupboard for years.

I can't think of a way to clean something like this except to treat it a bit like a three-dimensional carpet cleaning job, hence the sponge bath idea.

Yes, I checked for care labels. None present, and even if there were it's too big for a washing machine. So, what IS the best way to approach this daunting task ?

Any hints appreciated.

Reply to
Medallion Man

If you get any sensible answers, I have a similar sized fluffy Labrador (care label says acrylic) that could do with a wash.

I've tried sponging it down with washing liquid solution, but it doesn't lift the dust out. It's "long haired" btw ;) :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Your local Dry Cleaner, with the big machines in the back shop, should be able to do this for you, I'd think.

Reply to
BigWallop

Doh! Didn't think of that, and our neighbour works for one too... ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

My ex-partner used to collect these. At least the more expensive hand-made Bears. One accepted method amongst arctophiles (honestly!) is to stretch an old stocking/tights across the business end of a half-decent vacuum cleaner and remove as much dust as possible before gently 'teasing' the plush with an old toothbrush and some warm soapy water, before sitting Bruin in an airing cupboard for a few days.

David Illingworth-Young

There are "Bear Care" or other places around the country who clean or restore fluffy toys. Give them a ring.

Reply to
Mike

Shove it through a car washer?

I'd get a car wash attachments with a soap filled brush, and use that to sham-Pooh the bastard, then hose it down with cold water, and blow dry it on the runway of the nearest airbase behind the place they rev up the jets.

Or leave it in an airing cupboard (or its it a hot press) for a week.

Is it too big for the bath? That's anoher way, but the interior will get very soaked...

Could get it dry cleaned also.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"BigWallop" wrote | > > A fluffy toy bear, that is. Two feet high, two feet wide :-)

That's a lot smaller than the bear I howked out of the wheeliebin and passed on to the Red Cross last week.

| > If you get any sensible answers, I have a similar sized fluffy Labrador | > (care label says acrylic) that could do with a wash. | | Your local Dry Cleaner, with the big machines in the back shop, should be able | to do this for you, I'd think.

But *thoroughly* air afterwards, as the filling will trap solvent vapours for quite a while.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Medallion Man" wrote | A fluffy toy bear, that is. Two feet high, two feet wide :-) | with fully synthetic fluffy fur that used to be white and | now has accumulated dust and general grubbyness after | sitting on top of a cupboard for years.

The filling is the problem with most of these; like pillows if washed it tends to tie into knots. One approach might be to open one of the seams, remove the stuffing, sew up the seam temporarily and wash the outer skin. Then reassemble using the original or new stuffing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain