how'd you beak in to the industry ?

Themonk ( snipped-for-privacy@host.com) wibbled on Monday 17 January 2011 16:18:

Wonder where the OP went?

Reply to
Tim Watts

The smoke alarms is Building Regs, rather than Electrical. Rented houses need them. Bedroom doors need to be no more than 3 metres from a Smoke alarm. Not a problem in most houses, one upstairs, one down, but in bigger houses, you will need 3 or 4 alarms to comply. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

There is no legal requirement for smoke alarms in a domestic rented propery.

Bedroom doors need to be no more than 3 metres from

7.5m according to the OSG. I am pretty sure that the NHBC demands 3m for newbuilds.

The actual requirement is for a sounder to be 85dB at a distance of 3m with

75dB at the bedhead for fire alarm systems.
Reply to
ARWadsworth

Unless its a house in multiple accommodation i.e. shared by adults who are unrelated...

Reply to
tony sayer

So are you saying two gay blokes need smoke alarms in a rented a house:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sexual orientation doesn't come into it as long as their not part of the same family or aren't related thats what the regs call for its on the ODPM site somewhere ....

Bit here re the subject its quite involved and not that clear cut 'tho fire alarm systems are speced ..section 258 might answer your query ;!..

tony sayer

It doesn't make any difference whether they're gay or straight.

If they're shagging each other they don't need a smoke alarm.

If they aren't, they do.

Which is slightly illogical as if they're shagging each other they're more likely to have a post-coital fa^H^Hcigarette which increases the fire risk.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You need to get an apprenticeship. Local college may do an Advanced Plumbing Apprenticeship, it will take you approximately 3-4 years to do it properly and you will have to be employed at the same time, your employer will put you on block release or day release to college. Have a look at the JTL scheme too, you will get help to find an employer once you have done their entry test as your details will be given out to employers who use the JTL government funded scheme.

VAG_dude

If they are a "couple" no but if the building was divided into bedsits or larger units then yes. At least that is how in read "multiple accomodation".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That was one of the policies from Margaret Hilda's era (largely a consequence of the continuous dismantling of manufacturing far faster than in the rest of Northern Europe, .nl for instance) that didn't seem to add up to me.

For a 58-59 year old to have to take re-training in order to be able to stay in the jobs market makes no sense. When I was that age I was still bankrolling a daughter through uni and had a son living at home whom I had already supported through uni in his turn.

Since it's normal these days for kids to stay in their parents home 'till they are 30+ we have the invidious situation of having to house them at our expense whilst they compete with us in the jobs market.

That cannot work.

ISTM Greyheads / Wrinklies don't have a lot going for them anyway. Beyond 60 health gets progressively much much worse, ditto hearing and eyesight, and obligations to ageing parents (we had two parents with senile dementia [at opposite ends of the city] + one with cancer all at the same time) all conspired to call upon my time during the working day, whilst of course an employer would expect first call on an employees working time.

Life's a bitch and then you die.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I'm not a boiler engineer, but speaking to the guy who services our W-B boilers [1] , you would need to have done all the relevant necessary training to become a service engineer with at least 2 years experience before W-B will make you one of their accredited engineers and allow you to commission their kit with the full 5yrs warranty. Otherwise its just 2.

[1] from a firm that employ 12, been in business 30 yrs and who fit upwards of 300 w-b boilers per yr. They have a truck load at a time direct.

So, if you are starting out, learn the ropes as a rookie and i'm afraid from the bottom up. tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Anyone in the software business is continuously retraining throughout their working career.

All Maggie did was bring a touch of reality to some outdated industries. Or perhaps you think we should still be producing top hats, gas mantles, and buggy whips in large numbers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nobody wants buggy software. Nobody wants buggy anything. Certainly nobody wants buggy whips. By now we should have worked out how to make bug-free whips reliably.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun