How Can This Happen (Electrical)?

It looks low to me, but I'll check.

You're saying that probably the simplest way to do this is to swap all the MCBs for RCBOs, provided they fit in the box? They are about £20 each though.

Yes, I occasionally test them.

I recently had to throw one out because DW (at least I hope it was her, not me) had half-plugged an electric fire into one. The heat generated destroyed the plug and adapter.

Reply to
GB

OK. So trying my best. If your CU looks like this

Then RCBOs will probably fit.

Reply to
ARW

a grand total of 1

20 or so per year

it doesn't save any lives from shock. Whether it prevents any fires I can't say.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
8<

Does that apply to circuits that only have fixed none user accessible stuff? It sounds like a half baked attempt to stop people putting their fingers in a socket getting killed.

Reply to
dennis

In article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

But its definitely not supplied by any circuit protected by the RCD.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, NY snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Yes. As I said the lights remain on and the fan still turns if switched back on.

Not a good idea - if your ring main trips the rcd you are left in the dark.

Yes

Reply to
bert

Now that is a possibility. Would explain why it has just started to happen.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, Paul Herber snipped-for-privacy@pherber.com writes

Are you suggesting that the qualified certified to whatever professional electrician who did this has screwed up? Well actually his dozy apprentice did most of the actual work 'til he fired him so yes quite possible.

Reply to
bert

There's no rcd on the lighting circuits.

Reply to
bert

He is. No rcd on lighting circuits. Personally I think they are as much a liability as a help.

Reply to
bert

Very limited opportunities to be electrocuted by a lighting circuit compared to a ring main.

Reply to
bert

Still have one and recently put it into use. Had the lamp holder fail on a metal table lamp. Managed eventually to get a new skirt for it which was also metal. But the lamp was supplied with 2 core cable.

Reply to
bert

One on the fan unit and one at the wall. I've checked the wall switch and tightened up the neutral connection by a turn or two. I've "instructed" (AKA pleaded with) swmbo to only use that switch for the time being. For reason best known to himself the electrician wired the extension circuits live to the switches whereas the rest of the house is wired live to the ceiling rose. In article <q5993v$se6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Reply to
bert

Reply to
Fredxx

It does apply to the fixed stuff.

However it's not actually a big game changer in the scheme of things.

The 17th edition more or less made RCD protection compulsory for most new/altered domestic circuits so in 99% of cases this should not be a bigger issue than following the 17th edition regs.

Reply to
ARW