How can I destroy a transformer?

What is a surefire way to destroy a 240 - 6v transformer safely without leaving any external marks?

Reply to
Mike

Depending on the size of the transformer, you could probably rupture the

240V primary by sticking a 12V battery across it. The primary will overheat internally and go open circuit. (if its over 50VA the primary dc resistance is probably less than 10R)

If its a really small (ie less than 10VA) the primary resistance will be higher, in which case stick it across the secondary as the wire guage will be quite small and should rupture easily.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Let me guess, some attempt to claim something under warranty or something similar.

I've heard similar requests before on how to knacker a PC without any obvious signs.

If you can give a justifiable and clearly legal reason, I'm sure you'll get a better response from people.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

without

Mike, are you also "Richard" who posted this on uk.telecom.mobile ?

Reply to
Toolmaker

Focussed neutrino beams.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Nonsense, they'd pass through it without even interacting with it!

Reply to
Grunff

Not if you use enough.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Enough" being about as much as the entire solar output...

Reply to
Grunff

On usenet, nobody can tell if you'r an omnipotent being.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Bung it in the microwave

Or, if you have several to do at once, a high altitude nuclear burst should do the trick.

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

Fair point well made.

Reply to
Grunff

c.f. arxiv.org/hep-ph/030506 :-)

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Schofield

Do you mean /0305006 or /0305060 ?

Reply to
Grunff

Duh! arxiv.org/hep-ph/0305062 is what I meant -- 'Destruction of nuclear bombs using high-energy neutrino beam', or something similar... slightly impractical from a technical point of view, unforunately...

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Schofield

Yeah, but if he *were* an omnipotent being, he'd not have made the obvious grammatical mistake :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Are you the guy who wanted to know how to destroy a mobile sim card ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

On a more practical aspect, you can boil a kettle by emptying it and putting on the stove on full and forgetting all about it like I just did. Not quite untraceable though as the smoke alarm woke me up for a start.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Surely omnipotent beings can make grammatical mistakes. They wouldn't be omnipotent otherwise.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Martin Angove wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tridwr.demon.co.uk:

Looks more like a spelun mistake to me

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

Traceroute to both ends up at Corus Group at Swindon. Posting IP's of 145.8.169.151 and 145.8.171.10.

Reply to
Peter Parry