How big a heap?

I'm looking to get 10 tonnes of MOT Type 1 delivered loose, and at at density of 2.3 I'm looking at heap with volume 4.35 m3, I'm just wondering how compact a heap a four wheeled tipping wagon can leave, i.e. what ground area am I looking at to accommodate the heap?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Cod Roe

about 4 sq meters. Well that was for 20 tonnes.

But don't worry, if its anywhere near where its being used, it spreads pretty fast.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It isn't, hence the problem. I'm looking to use a neighbour's drive, as I don't have one, and the quarry want 200 loose, and 438 for bulk bags which would go over my back wall.

Reply to
Cod Roe

Assuming it forms a square pyramid, with sides sloping at 30 degrees[1], the base area would be about 2.5M x 2.5M

[1] I've no idea whether that's a reasonable assumption, but you've got to start somewhere!
Reply to
Roger Mills

The top limit for scree, IIRC, is about 43 deg., so you're well within reasonable limits.

Reply to
PeterC

I had been assuming a triangular prism, 2.5m wide (since that matches a wagon), and the bottom of the tipper being 1m from the ground, giving the depth as 3.48, which will be a very tight fit. Hence I was hoping for someone with experience to confirm my guesses, but thanks for your help.

Reply to
Cod Roe

it will stack a bit steeper than that. About 45 degrees is typical for a scree slope

See

is a bit steeper than granite.

You can get about 6 barrow loads to the tonne so 10 tonnes is 60 barrowloads.

A Good Irishman fuelled on Guinness can do that single handed in a day, easily.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It'll be wider than the gap in the tailgate or side gap of the wagon by about twice the height of the pile unless it's contained in some way.

Reply to
John Williamson