House painting quote.

wrote:

that doesn't look as though it would even get to the first floor. A proper "cherry picker", delivered to site, with an operator, will cost a lot more than that.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

It doesn't look like it would even fit in what passes for a front garden round here. And certainly couldn't get it to the rear of the house.
A scaffold tower might do - but would need to be moved several times. Add that to the costs of hire and delivery etc, and ordinary scaffolding looks a better bet.
--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

We had our house painted a couple of years ago by a neighbour and his son who do painting and decorating together, and are very good.
Large 4/5 bed two floor detached pebble dash house, on a small hill, so access is not great. They did it all using a ladder, but they both spend a lot of time in the gym - father, almost 60, has the body of a 25 year old and the son is not far behind.
Was <£2000 and included all paint.
On 13/04/2017 13:26, tim... wrote:

I like the click and collect option at Argos!
--
Adam

Ah! I tried that for an e-bay delivery. Collecting from Argos was going to be cheaper (I think) and it avoided hanging about for the lorry.
In the event collection was called off because of item weight. Less than 25kg for each of two parcels.
--
Tim Lamb

On 15/04/2017 17:42, Tim Lamb wrote:

What's a reasonable weight limit for a warehouse worker? Maybe it depends on the item's shape?
On 16/04/2017 11:16, GB wrote:

Found this, *on a solicitor's website*:
http://www.beckettandco.co.uk/manual-handling-faq-weight/
It looks like 25Kg is the absolute max for a fit well-trained man in ideal conditions. For a parcel that's easily grasped with both hands and is compact enough that the parcel is close to the person's spine.
And that looks like it's for items that are carried at waist height, not lifted off the floor.
"Have you been injured whilst lifting at work?" :)

I remembered 25 Kg as being the limit for an *untrained* person.
--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

writes

It was actually a *praying Mantis* plaster board lifter. The boxes were about 4'0" long.
--
Tim Lamb

I'm actually interested in the price of scaffolding as the row of 4 houses next to me (and the mirror block on then other side of the estates I can see out of my kitchen window) - including along outside my flat so that they could get to the side (without even telling me, let alone asking permission - the bastards)
4 stories high (a 3 story town house plus up to the roof line because, stupidly, they have been built with cladding on top that needs regular repainting)
Took the scaffolding men three full days to erect, and then 4 days to dismantle(?)
and the painters were in for 4 days max
Can't see how that is cost effective against the alternatives
tim
On 13/04/2017 13:37, tim... wrote:

I had some to first floor level - very substantial, even I was happy on it. £250 for what seemed like as long as I wanted (took them a month to take down after I asked). Took 2 men about 2 hours to put up/down. Pic:
https://flic.kr/p/RrtnUP
--
Cheers, Rob

On 13/04/2017 16:36, RJH wrote:

They don't have a yard, so they leave it up until they need it for the next job.

Scaffolding is rarely taken down until it's needed for the next job. Saves storage space.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I've had scaffolding several times for various jobs over the years. Has always been removed pretty quickly after asking.
--
*Velcro - what a rip off!*

On 17:02 12 Apr 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Are you getting any other quotations?

Not yet. I don't know any reliable painters despite having asked around. Hence getting the quote from one I've seen at work - and looks to be doing things correctly.
The last painter I used for this job came with lots of recommendations. But did it all when I was out at work. Only some time later did I discover he'd used masonry paint on some wood window frames. And had simply slapped paint over the bits you couldn't see easily - with no preparation. It was coming off within a year.
--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

On 11:07 18 Apr 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I suppose if he's reliable and good quality then it's worth paying a bit extra but isn't ?230 a day (incl VAT) for labour alone a bit on the high side?

Seems so to me. Assuming he gets near full time work - as it seems he does - amounts to well over 60k a year with 4 weeks off. And that's VAT exc.
I spoke to him for the first time today since getting the quote. Said it was a lot more than I expected. He asked what that would be and I said nearer 2 grand. He then asked if that included materials.
Thing is that on having a careful look there's quite a bit of repair needed before painting. So it looks like I'll need to get some painkillers and do that myself. ;-)
--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

On 18/04/2017 14:15, pamela wrote:

Our son is a painter and decorator and the minimum going rate he charges is £120 a day for labour (Berkshire area).

es

I was once charged 9000 for three days painting (well one day, three people). He got 900. Then he had he cheek to tell me I'd got the zero in the wrong place! Yes, they were Irish. He's no longer in business after somebody (I wonder who) made several nasty complaints to the police, trading standards, the inland revenue, and the warehouse owner he claimed to be based in.
-- It's called "Windows XP" because its full name, "The Repair Shop and Help-Desk Full Employment Act of 2006", won't fit on the box.