House electrics question

a serious flood, because of burst pipes, could be almost as bad.

Reply to
charles

Really? Given the choice I would prefer flooding to my house going up in flames.

Reply to
Scott

When I tried near full load when my central heating failed mid winter the junction box in the landing started buzzing so loudly that Scottish Power had to come and check it.

Reply to
Scott

I have seen both done at the same time.

Remember that cold spell in 2010. Well someone had gone on holiday for a couple of weeks and their nextdoor neighbour very kindly lit their solid fuel boiler 24 hours before they returned.

All the CH pipes were full of ice until the boiler exploded.

Reply to
ARW

Noted, and thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That was not the implied alternative.

If you have a circuit where RCD protection would be netter omitted, then there are alternative ways of ensuring the cables feeding it have adequate protection. Using earthshield, or other metal clad cable (MICC, SWA etc). Surface wiring, or ensuring cable burial at > 50mm are all options.

Reply to
John Rumm

All of which can easily be specified for use in freezers and boilers. I may check later with John Lewis whether this requires a special order.

Reply to
Scott

What has any of that got to do with John Lewis? We are talking about circuit wiring, not appliances.

Reply to
John Rumm