Hot water pump wont stop - any ideas

Hello I have had a problem with my hot water pump for the last few weeks - it just wont cut out when the hot water or central heating timer switches off. The motorised valve seems to be working OK switches between hot water and heating as normal and both the radiators and hot tank are being heated. A few times last week I was able to switch off the pump by manually moving the lever on the motorised valve and letting it spring back, but that action dosent work at all now and I cant get the pump to turn off, except at the mains. Some information about my system: it is a closed system in a 5 year old house, the heating and hot water can operate seperately or together and all the radiators are on the same zone. It looks to have two valves in the airing cupboard one a switched valve with a removable actuator and the other a (Honeywell) valve with a galvanised cover.

My initial idea was that the actuator on the switched valva was faulty, but now I am not so sure. I can replace this fairly easily, and if it is this I dont want to call out a plumber and have to pay him for the privilage.

any ideas on what might be wrong would be much appreciated Cheers Bole

Reply to
Bole

Confused

Sounds like the lever is bent (or some other trouble) so that after the valve has correctly opened it does not shut of it's own accord.

The honeywell valves switch on at the end of the travel (beyond the manual latching position) other make(s) switch on before the manual latching position.

You might have a sticking valve on the plumbing side. You might have a defective valve actuator.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

motorised valve is a Drayton ZA5/679-2 Zone Valve do these valves/actuators often have problems? cheers Bole

Reply to
Bole

I had one (honeywell) stick on my UFH...boy did the house get hot..exactly same sypmtoms as yours..manual working sorted it a few times. then it didn't. Replaced the whole head..not expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks to all for your help, the gneral consensus seem to be the motorised valve or the actuator. I will order both and replace the actuator first, if that dosent work I will change the valve as well, hopefully that will solve the problem. Cheers Bole

Reply to
Bole

Reply to
Bole