Hot or cold for expansion ?

I'm making a 50mm long aluminium sleeve for a 12mm steel shaft; it is just a support sleeve, no rotary motion. I've reamed the Al. out to the 12mm required and tried fitting the steel shaft. It went in fine, but I suspect it's picked up a little flake of the Al as I went to withdraw it and has stuck fast.

Do I heat it to assist removal or deep-freeze it ?

The second bush is fine with the same reamer setting, but I made sure there was no debris lying around on the trial fit with an identical bit of steel.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Google is your friend:

"coefficient of expansion metal*"

First hit:

'll leave the drawing of the answer as a excercise for the OP.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

like aluminium expands twice as much as steel, and as the ally is on the outside, you need to heat it.

Reply to
Graham.

Don't forget that bimetallic corrosion may occur especially in damp/wet conditions, the results may cause the two metals to corrode and seize up.

Don

Reply to
Donwill

Unless you've got CO2 or N2 freezing gear, you're only going to get a

20 degree difference by cooling.

With boiling water, hot air gun, or a blowtorch - you can easily get much larger temp differences.

Reply to
dom

Thanks guys - I'm afraid the quick answer was I just took a biggish punch and drove it out. And yes, there was Al smeared on the steel and had to be file off.

I suppose I should have remembered that Al has the larger Cf of Expansion and just plunged it into some boiling water.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham