hot air gun for torch on query

Hi all Saw a hot air gun being used for torching on felt on Grand Designs.I am using the usual propane powered jet engine job to torch down over my opened roof -dodgy- with sawdust etc in the ceiling. What type of hot air gun works--is it a tool hire job or will a B&Q type gun do the job.

Reply to
tom patton

Any one at a rating of 1500 watts or above is ideal. Remember "not" to use it as a hair dryer when the DIY is finished.

Reply to
BigWallop

Reply to
tom patton

Sounds like a great way to get rid of your son for a couple days. Remember to take flowers and grapes to the burns unit. For the nurses, not for the son. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Reply to
tom patton

You sound as though you're taking your time, learning and doing it all properly. That's the best way to do it. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Perhaps it'll sort out the real mess you've made of this thread by including the information you're replying to under your response, instead of posting your response under the information you're replying to. I've left the below just so that you can see what I mean.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yup was up on the roof today getting the parapet built the whole thing is grossly overengineered- Kerto beams- tie down straps 1 metre long onto an existing flat roof made of massive 1974 pine rafters but must just get on and do it. I am amazed at the strange mix of up to 70% discount on some stuff eg underground Marley and the astronomical cost of wee bits of bog standard metal-but-Im finding out-thats the building trade!. My next task is learning the skills for putting on my 65 square metre standing seam zinc roof it looks like its 80% thinking and 20% putting clips in the right place-oh-and closing the upstand seams of course-but-at a laid cost of £6500 + VAT I can afford to reroof 3 times in zinc and still save £2000. I have found the advice I have got on this newsgroup absolutely invaluable and quite inspiring in dire times-eg when faced with the daunting task of breaking up 2 cubes of 6 inch concrete-the Cobra hammer made mincemeat of it!!.

Reply to
tom patton

Yup seems to work on the 2killowatt setting.

Reply to
tom patton

Was up on the roof today the heat gun worked ok-but-not as quick as the blowtorch so back to torching-even tho a 3.5 kilo bottle of propane is £10.30 pence shares in Calor must be a good bet. Going to make a rafter end template tommorow.

you sound as though you're taking your time, learning and doing it all

Reply to
tom patton

And all looking good so far? Remember the bits undeneath, before you put the bits on top. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Was up on the roof today setting out the main diagonal rafter profiles using surplus wallplate and plywood end profiles.Everything was ok angles wise so now ready to set up the 45x225x4.5 metre diagonal ridge rafters.They are doubled up so certainly do not want to move them much I think I will just hand saw the end profiles and save time moving them to use power tools.Got a new hand saw a £8 Homebase job but I ve always found almost any new blade is good for cross cutting and short ripping. Rafters arrived today-but no other wood for building the 450mm upstand so fairly easy day.

Reply to
tom patton