Honeywell gas valve (V4 600A) checking

I am having a problem with my Potterton II cf 60 boiler.

The pilot is lit but the main burner does not light. Controls calling for heat. (points to gas valve)

There is 240v going to the solenoid on top of the valve.

A new gas valve cost £50 plus vat but how can I be sure that its not the coil on the solenoid that's burnt out. A new coil doesn't come with the valve. I would hate to pay for a new gas valve and find out its something else. Is there any way of being sure?

Thanks

Joe

Reply to
barry rogers

Do you have a test meter? If so then do a resistance test on the coil. If not, then I suppose you could: a) disconnect mains b) disconnect the neutral side feed to the coil c) reapply mains d) test live and neutral end of solenoid coil wuith a neon. If neon lights both times then the coil will be intact.

Regards Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

Yes I have a test meter.How do I test the resistance and what reading should I get.

Thanks Joe

Reply to
barry rogers

Hi Joe

to test the coil measure resistance between L and N terminals, actual reading will differ for various coils, but what your looking for is dead short or OC (open circuit). Either of these shows a U.S. coil. Next test between each side and the earth tab to test for short to earth.

I only work on commercial gas installations and with the larger valves you simply tap the end of the valve with a metalic object such as a small screwdriver and feel if the coil is energised (magnetic pull), this method can be used on valves down to 1/4 " BSP.

Lastly you can energise the coil whilst off of the valve, but you must take great care to ensure that it is only switched on briefly and with a large screwdriver in the hole otherwise they have a tendency to melt.....nuff said!

I very rarely find duff valves, but probably change about 5 coils a week (and they're considerably cheaper than valve bodies)

HTH Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

In message , barry rogers writes

You haven't said what model, but put a meter across the solenoid

it will either be open circuit - -knackered a finite resistance (probably between 500 and 5k ohms) - OK or short circuit,(any reading of less than 10 ohms on a cheap meter) and unlikely

the plunger might have become stuck - try tapping the gas valve when there is mains across it

Reply to
geoff

In message , Gordon writes

Good thinking batman - I forgot to mention that, but if there is a finite resistance there, and he has a meter, it's not important

Reply to
geoff