HomePlug & Three Phase

As was quoting me, when I didn't post that. As the quote marks show.

Reply to
The Natural Philsopher

Damn right it would. Poke the data cable through and put the router next to the home plug in the next room.

Reply to
dennis

I'm doubtful your approach would have low enough reactance, all depends. Worth a try though. The capacitor option has much more chance of working, but of course too big a one can pass enough current from one live phase to a dead one to bite someone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Get over yourself. I really don't give a f*ck about your feelings.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bloody hell, a sensible suggestion from dennis.

Home Plug in Room B on the same phase as the ethernet source. Poke data cable through wall to Room A and on to what ever kit needs it. Blooming obvious!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Certainly an improvement on running it around the outside of the building and burying it in the graveyard

the meds must be working

Reply to
geoff

Unfortunately one room (wrong phase) is lockable - the other location (right phase) is a public hallway ...and I have some doubts about how long a HomePlug adaptor (£30) is going to remain in a socket!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Then use Cat5E throughout. It's hardly a major wiring job.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I had that problem in a public waiting area. Box with locked lid screwed to wall covering socket. Hole in side of box to get cable out to wireless access point. WAP screwed to wall too but well above head height.

Two computers nicked from receptionist's desk and a telephone that would only work on our system vanished. At least the chairs and tables seem to be unwanted

Reply to
Alang

Hum, dismember a Homeplug and stick the bits in surface box or deep dry =

lining box with plain face plate, then poke network cable through wall? = If you wanted to be posh you could mount the Homeplug LEDs on the plate.

Recursion, see recursion. It's easier to get blood from a stone than it = is to get all the permissions and specifcations required to lay a cable through a church.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:54:31 +0000 someone who may be Alang wrote this:-

Power over Ethernet is your friend, assuming the access point was acting as an access point and not a repeater.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:56:27 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

That depends on the church and the route taken by the cable. We don't know much about either.

Reply to
David Hansen

Listed building so limited in where we could drill holes and run cable.

Reply to
Alang

In message , Peter Andrews writes

Can't a guard be built around it then ?

Reply to
geoff

What phase are the lights on? It doesn't have to be a ring main for them to work. Just shove a plug in the ceiling space connected to the lights.

Reply to
dennis

To quote the OP:

" ... an ethernet cable is not an option as it would require a >50m long

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But you can bash through to put in T&E which is "quite a bit" bigger than Cat5E, apparently.

I've wired up a few listed buildings, mostly it's a case of not being brutal. In some ways LBs are easier than modern properties full of crevices, cracks, etc. You don't need to go mad with an SDS and a sledgehammer.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've only just joined this thread so I don't have many more details to hand but that never stopped me before ;-) ...

50m is easy for ethernet. You could use 150m and run it right up to the roof, or out of an airbrick and bury it alongside the walls to the other end.

Directional wireless would also do it fairly easily, unless I missed something about thick stone walls in the way.

If something I've missed makes this all look stupid, just ignore me. It wouldn't be the first time...

Reply to
PCPaul

Mr Firth failing to read and comprehend again. Perhaps dennis ought to send some of his meds to Mr Firth.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:31:06 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

As I said, it depends on the church and the route taken by the cable. We don't know much about either.

The church presumably has electric wiring already. That means that wiring is allowed [1] and thus a network cable can be installed. The question then is the route taken by the cable. It may be that a visible cable would be frowned upon by a number of groups, so it would need to be invisible. Assuming it is run inside the main part of the church a favourite route for cables is where the roof and walls join, where there is usually a ledge cables can be fastened to yet which is out of sight. That then leaves the question of getting to the ledge, sometimes this is best done via the outside walls where a vestry or other "extension" to the church may provide suitable cover.

Depending on the route the type of cable may be a consideration. Bog standard indoor type twisted pair cable may be unsuitable.

[1] Listing, we don't know which grade, does not prevent the installation of electric wiring, no matter which grade. However, it does tend to limit the "fix it to the surface" brigade.
Reply to
David Hansen