Homebase

Focus gets my vote for the surliest and most ill-mannered teenage assistants and older ones who have little concept about customer service. Homebase manages that aspect a bit better and B&Q a little better still.

Not really. I've never disputed that these places are cheaper for tools in terms of capital outlay, only that they have poor total cost of ownership and quality.

Now there's an idea....

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "Scabbydug" contains these words:

Yes, and they're also very expensive compared to B&Q, and even more so compared to Wilkinson.

Reply to
Guy King

On electrics Homebase are hopelessly expensive. IIRC 1m of green sleeving is 99p. I bought some 40W spot light bulbs in Wickes, 3 for 2 which made them about 60p each and Homebase were 4 for £4.99.

But then a couple of weeks back I needed six 1m lengths of M6 studding - Wickes only sell 500mm lengths, B&Q had just five in stock at £1.29, and then when I went to Homebase I got the sixth for 89p.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

That's almost the exact price (VAT inclusive) of six 10A strips from CPC!

Indeed. Complete with little plastic bag.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They are after a different market. Not the real 'hardcore' DIYer, but those who have watched Grand Designs, have jobs with large expendable incomes and want to be fashionable by doing their homes up.

Didn't they market some pink tools for girls a while ago?

Anyway, it is good to pop in now and again as they do have some good sale and discontinued line stuff, and as the staff are a bit clueless on the gear, they mark it down to rediculously cheap prices.

dg

Reply to
dg

"Mind you, the small independent iron mongers aren't much different in price. In fact, on most things they're more expensive."

Not really true. I have just bought 4 boxes (800) screws from my local suppliers for the grand total of a fiver (£5) and *everything* they sell is a damn site cheaper than any of the 'sheds'.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Indeed - for a eye opener, see a trade outlet with a good web presence like

and have a look at some general electrical fixtures compared to the sheds...

However, my local Homebase (Tunbridge Wells, North Farm) does have a decent stock of Plas Plugs fixings for crappy walls. I've noticed a few exotic bits and bobs in the plumbing section too that no one else seems to keep, even though the overall range is far smaller than the neighbouring Bogit Quik.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I'm glad someone asked this question. One problem with such stores is that they end up putting the ironmongers/hardware stores out of business, but only stock objects which they know they will sell lots of. And yes they are, in general, overpriced.

The problem is that everyone seems to shop with the 3 major 'diy' outlets, despite their heavy handed pricing and lack of obscure stock.

As an example to all this, a neighbour of mine was after a metric fine nut (for a rover mini), and after going to halfords and 4 other outlets (including garages and the local Landrover person), he couldn't get what he was after. Then he went to one of my favourite shops in Dumfries (McDermid Supplies [01387 251010] and within a few minutes the owner had got his measuring gear out, found the size and sold the man a nut for 25p.

Now, the danger is that B&Q, and Homebase etc... by their presence and the general populations obsession with large superstores, will draw trade away from such places of helpfulness and experteese. They will also charge a small fortune for the same item, will not wrap it in the nice brown paper (plastic instead), and, in the case of my local Focus shop will mutter 'time waster' when someone comes in for a refund because the goods sold are no longer required.

In Dumfries I can get everything much cheaper by going to the independant paint supplier, ironmongers, motor factors etc. Small is definately better... oh and the people behind the counter also know what they are talking about and value the custom.

Calum Sabey (Newark Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

Wilkinsons - now you are talking!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

They've gone downhill since they stopped selling loose fasteners.

There was a hardware shop in Otford when I was a nipper which looked just like the Two Ronnies "Fork 'andles" sketch. Great place, of which Dad said that if you asked 'em for half a pound of rusty nail-heads they'd probably have them stashed somewhere from when grandad spent an afternoon snipping the heads off in 1928 and stuck them in a jamjar which has sat on the stairs ever since.

Reply to
Guy King

I haven't got a local ironmonger anymore. Wine bars, estate agents and takeaways no problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure if I ever mentioned this one...

Many years ago, on my first visit to my future wife's parents, I found that the downstairs toilet took about half an hour for the cistern to refill. Standard ball valve with a large washer, which had hardened and gone top hat shaped.

Went to the local shop, bare wooden floor, counters on three sides, men in brown coats, stuf f hanging from the ceiling. Produced washer, man took it and disappeared through swing door at back. He was gone a LONG time, a VERY long time. Eventually reappeared, charged me a few pence for new washer, that was that.

Over the years I seemed to replace these washers (upstairs and down) more than once. I also went in there for other bits. If anyone went through that swing door, you knew you were in for a long wait.

One day, it was very busy. The man told me it'd be quicker if I went myself! I followed his instructions. I went through the door; down a long passage, and through another swing door. I found myself outdoors again, at the end of a cul se sac. I went down the cul de sac to the other end, and crossed a busy road. I walked across the bus station, to a large building with the name of the same firm on it. Went in, up to the trade counter (I think) and asked for the item in question.....!

Then I went back the same way and paid for it...!

Now I know why they always took a long time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Maybe it's just the local shops round here that aren't that cheap.

Reply to
RedOnRed

That was more about promoting Breast Cancer Awareness than getting women to have their own set.

And a Good Thing too.

Mary with breast cancer

Reply to
Mary Fisher