Hinge

I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not very large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can manage. And would like concealed hinges. So something like a car door. The hinges need to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also like to use one of those push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if they are still available - not seen them in the sheds for ages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would kitchen cupboard hinges work? There are numerous types (Blum have the widest range) and they could be fitted with the door flush to a surface as opposed to the door on the surface if the right kind is chosen.

Isaac Lord and Woodfit have these and should also have the push to latch/unlatch catches.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I used this combination (from Isaac Lord) for a tiled door in the side of a tiled bath panel. The push to open/close catch was a roller ball type. The hinges are a special design for flush panels. The gaps are around the size of a grouting gap, but could be a little tighter. Of course you will never get as close as a push-in design without hinges. If you chamfer the panel edges you can aid clearance for the turning radius. I believe there are some magnetic push-push catches that you could use without hinges. They have been mentioned in the group before. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Normal ones are designed for the door fitting on the outside of the frame so would need a big clearance for flush fitting.

Right - the self closing part would be fine, as would the easy adjustment.

OK - I'll have a look. But was hoping to be told what to look for. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's the sort of thing.

Can you remember what they were called? I've had a look at the ones Andy said and can't be sure which version is correct.

That sort of gap would be fine. A couple of mm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think these are the hinges - how they work from a Merkin site:

I think the Blum ones are the same or even the Screwfix ones:

Bob Mannix

Something like these? (Link to Blum TIP-ON system.)

(There is a download at the bottom roght of that page.)

Otherwise have a gander round the rest of their site/downloads. The Clip-On hinges include some that are intended for all sorts of special circumstances.

Reply to
Rod

Hopefully I have told you in my other post. :-) Just remembered that I should have emphasised that the Blum Clip-On range includes some that are expressly designed for use on doors that are inset - not just the lay-on style of conventional euro-kitchen-cupboards.

And, as I have said before, I would go out of my way to use Blkum rather than almost any other manufacturer's hinges due to design, quality, documentation and, living near Isaac Lord, availability. :-)

Reply to
Rod

From what you're describing, you just need the hinges for inset doors.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Aside from the Blum/Grass/Häfele hinge stuff, google for a "Zysa hinge" for an alternative.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Open a secret bank account if you need to hide the money from the other half. ;-)

Forget the hinges put the door on dowl pegs at the top and bottom of the door.

Reply to
George

snip

better quality if you can use them