Highly flexible floor tile grout

I have a tiled bathroom floor which has a little flex in it and thus the grout keeps crumbling in the same area.

I don't want to rip up the floor and re-do it with a layer of thicker ply underneath, though I know that would be the propoer solution.

Is there such a thing as a highly flexible grout ?

Is it possible to make a regular grout flexible by adding something to it ?

Maybe I should just scrap out all the grout and apply something else - some sort of silicone product ? (don't laugh - jut looking for ideas)

Thanks

cf

Reply to
cf-leeds

The problem is that assuming rigid tiles, then if you use sealant you stand a very good chance of one of two thingsh happening 1 Tiles wobble and crack

2 Tiles fall off the job, as it were when the sealant gives up the ghost.

No I don't know the answer either but I've been in bathrooms like this in cheap and not so cheap bed and breakfasts myself in the past and I guess it should have been made with plastic tiles or floor covering. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No. I very much doubt it!

You know the correct solution, so I'll ignore that. If it was me looking to bodge this, I'd go for one of the polyurethane sealants as they are amazingly sticky as well, so less likely to come away and leak?

something like

maybe?

In fact, that even says "for sealing floor joints in ceramic installations"

Good luck...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

If the floor is flexing because it is the ply that is moving then it will n ot be long before the tiles loosen and crack. You may not neccesarily need to replace the ply rather decrease the spacing between the screws. If the f loor is moving because the joists are flexing then it is doomed. Tiles are best on solid floors when applied to suspended timber floors you have to ge t everything from joists to the tiling surface absolutely stable.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

A high modulus silicone would be my bodge of choice. Masking tape for a neat job

Reply to
Stuart Noble

There is (at least was), we did our bouncy kitchen floor with it, never did set completely hard. Also quite grainy and difficult to get a nice smooth finish on. Sort of like car body filler when the resin is a bit old and you haven't added *quite enough* hardener :)

Not sure how waterproof it is, it's been ok in the kitchen but not sure I'd trust it in a bathroom ... :)

Reply to
Lee

Yes. I have a home made shower cubical. Consists of a brick outside wall with the others being stud, and all on a suspended wood floor in an old house. There was enough movement over time to crack the grouting where the stud walls met the brick one. Silicone did the trick nicely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)