Higher capacity NiMH batteries

There seems to be a price premium for the highest capacity NiMH batteries (2700mAh) - are they really worth it? It's a bit like the price premium of the highest capacity RAM DIMMs, whatever they currently are.

Any recommendations for NiMH AA batteries that suffer least from the wretched self-discharge effect?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Possibly if you have a high power requirement where you can be sure to fit freshly charged cells to the equipment before use.

anything that says it's precharged when you buy it, e.g. Eleloop, CycleEnergy ... but almost every manufacturer has their own version, usually 2000 or 2100mAh ... I've replaced all my MiMH with the low self discharge ones now.

Reply to
Andy Burns

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1k9k8t6.ravqkk1k89gk5N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

The lidl pre-charged ones are OK and only £3 for four AA cells. They still have them in my local Lidl.

Like all the other pre-charged ones I have seen they are only 2100 mAHr.

Reply to
dennis

Eneloop (not Eleloop). SWMBO has 2 sets of four, mebbe 3 years old now, for her camera. Sure sure she's had to charge them more than a couple of times.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've been trying the Lidl own-brand LSD ones, yet to see how good they are. Over the past two years I've had several Vapex Instant LSDs from

and they've

been fine. I tried Eneloops, but didn't find the extra cost to be worthwhile over Vapex.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

2.7Ah NiMH in my camera managed only a few shots before the camera cut out on low battery. On Eneloops it does c. 200 shots if about a quarter are with flash and also the Eneloops can be carried as spares and are useful even a year or more after charging. 7DayShop has various sorts:
PeterC

I've had several Vapex Instant LSDs ...

Hmmm, that sounds good. Any good colours in there, man?

*-)
Reply to
Adrian C

Well if it was fully charged then it was faulty. I don't find any advantage in using the LSD ones in the cameras. We use it so much so the batteries get used up (as in within a week or so) before they self discharge. So I have higher capacity ones in there for as long a run time as possible.

But for general battery use I find LSD ones much more convenient.

also got Eneloop, Anmsmann Max_E and something else, can't say the extra expense for the brand names ones seems to give any obvious benefit.

Reply to
chris French

Yes, my experience also. In fact the high capacity NiMH batteries wouldn't even drive my old digital camera any longer and I was about to throw it out when someone suggested I try Eneloops. The problem with the(some?) high capacity NiMH is that they have a high internal resistance.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Usually the reverse actually.

The problem with NiMh is is flattens itself in hours whether its being used, or not.

The Natural Philosopher

In message , Windmill writes

Really?

7 Day Shop's own brand 'Good to go' ones, perfectly good batteries, £4.19 inc delivery.
Reply to
chris French

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try some low self-discharge ones and not worry about capacity.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida