High Flow Combi Q's

Hi There,

We have an aging gas boiler which we need to replace. The hot water cylinder is on the ground floor, there is a cold water tank on the 1st floor and a header tank in our bedroom on the 2nd floor. The curent bathroom has a dribble for a shower. We removed the bath.

We are just installing a bathroom on the 1st floor and have a short (1.6m) slipper bath and a Aqualisa Aquatique 8" rose shower, and a sink. There is a kitchen sink and we'll probably end up with a cloakroom sink and utility room. The Dishwasher and Washing Machine are both cold fill.

Idealy we would like to go to a combi type sealed system removing the header, feed and hot water tank for space design reasons. The house has dormers in the roof, so no loft space. We can dedicate a 600ish square cupboard on the ground floor to heating/dhw requirements. It will be floor to ceiling and while we would like to get some towels/bedding in it, not a major requirement.

Condensing/HE is good and almost mandatory.

Aqualisa said a min 14lpm, though we'd like better.

We've seen the Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 which is interesting and affordable. There are the Potterton/Baxi Powermax HE (85/115) which seem to be comming out arround the same price. We've also seen the Viessamann Vitodens 333 which is a bit on the tall side and comes with a high price tag, but also seemed to be a bit of a rollsroyce of a boiler.

I know the worcester drops to 11lpm and carries on after the heatbank is used, do the other two and are there any general comments / opinions / other options ?

Also looking for someone to install the boiler, though i'm happy to do a lot of the system changeover/removal etc. Huntingdon/cambs area

Thanks, Lee

Reply to
Ulfilias

Look at the ideal Istor and Alpha CB50 too.

The Alpha and Worcester drop to around 11 l/min, but you will very rarely get to that stage with one bath and, you never "never" run out of hot water. I think the Powermax may have this two stage flowrate function too. They all recover in a few minutes. I would get the best deal on any of the models you have mentioned. If it is RR quality you want then look at Eco-Hometec too.

The W-B 440 has an integrated condensing pump. Ideal have external pumps as extras, if a drain is inaccessible.

Make sure the mains flow is good enough and replace the stop-c*ck with an full-bore valve. If possible install 22mm pipe to the combi from the mains using a dedicated pipe.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Hi There,

The istor is huge and would fill the cuboard, is there anything extra special to warent this ?

What is RR ???

Will be on an outside wall, next to a drain so no probs there.

Its 15mm out of the ground under the current sink, next to where the boiler will be sited.

Thanks, Lee

Reply to
Ulfilias

I have the W/B 440 boiler installed at my home. I am very pleased with it although, having a large bath (1800x800), it does drop down to the lower flow rate when the bath is 2/3 full.

Since the Potterton powermax contains an unvented cylinder then I'd guess that the water would go completely cold when the tank is empty. I'd guess also it wouldn't be a DIY job to fit.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

The volume of water it produces. That's all.

Rolls Royce

Fit a full bore stop c*ck. If the flow/pressure is not that good, consider a new large bore plastic main back to the road.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

How long to fill the whole bath?

You are right. The Powermax and Istor go completely cold. The Powermax can go up to 150 litres storage.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I would also reccommend these Potterton/Baxi Powermax H (85/115)makes..

whats the rising mains pressure like (the Cold water pipe coming i the property), if dribbling out you will have to get in touch with th Water Board about your options on replacing the supply from the wate main to your property,depends where you live, but from the stop tap i the pavement back its your responsibilty/cost,out too the main is th water boards responsibilty/cost In my area I know the W/board will relay the customers side wit Plastic pipe if there is a leak on the supply (a good dig with a garde fork ,may be an idea!

-- Mr Jingles

Reply to
Mr Jingles

I would also recommend these Potterton/Baxi Powermax H (85/115)makes..

whats the rising mains pressure like (the Cold water pipe coming i the property), if dribbling out you will have to get in touch with th Water Board about your options on replacing the supply from the wate main to your property,depends where you live, but from the stop tap i the pavement back its your responsibilty/cost,out too the main is th water boards responsibilty/cost In my area I know the W/board will relay the customers side wit Plastic pipe if there is a leak on the supply (a good dig with a garde fork ,may be an idea!

-- Mr Jingles

Reply to
Mr Jingles

I don't take a stopwatch into the bath with me ;-)

Mark

Reply to
Mark