Hidden dimmable lighting

Hello all,

I'm creating a similar fireplace to the one below and if possible would like to incorporate some hidden dimmable lights. It's going to have a gel fire in there. I know this is a pretty daft request, installing lights inside a fire, but is there anyway of doing it? Could I install further up the chimney or protect with something?

Lunny

Why not brighten your marketing technique before you brighten your fireplace?

*** fireplace website link enclosed here ***!
Reply to
Keith (Dorset)
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

He thought you were plugging the website... If you look at this one

have lights, you could ask email the company you are buying from or the owners of the website maybe?

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Ah, never saw that. Thanks!

Reply to
Lunny

£4250! You could buy a house for that when I were a lad... (etc.)
Reply to
Gilbert

House? We never 'ad an house.

Reply to
Richard Conway

The lights there are distinctly outboard the fire itself and don't light the fire, if you take my meaning. They are probably standard halogens.

I've been wondering about a similar issue - I'd like to instal lights under a metal chimney hood to light the fireplace when it's not lit, if you take my meaning again. But I'm worried about heat affecting the lights and wiring.

I'd also like to stuff the hood with insulation, as is seems to be a source f cold draughts, but again I'm concerned about putting anything around the hot flue.

Chris R.

Reply to
Chris R
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Crikey! I didn't look at the price!

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Flash bastard!

:O)

Reply to
Gilbert

I'm DIYing it not buying it! Anyone who pays =A34500 for a bit of stone with a couple of lights in must be mental.

Reply to
Lunny

What are you on about. A lighthouse? Probably worth buying, at that price.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Dunno, all those strangers dropping in at night, after you have switched the bedroom light off...

Reply to
Palindr☻me

To be honest, that doesn't sound too bad....

Reply to
Lunny

In sea boots and oilskins?

My what an interesting life you must lead..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Bloody fisherman's wife...

Reply to
Gilbert

And that's just the Screwfix delivery trying to get through

Owain

Reply to
Owain

OK. After giving it some thought....

Take a fused spur from the ring main using 2.5mm T&E (don't know what fuse rating for spur yet). Wire this to a dimmer switch using 1.5mm or

1.0mm T&E. Wire this to two SES E14 batten holders in series. Does anyone know if this is possible before I put my house and life in danger?
Reply to
Lunny

Yes, but the fuse in the spur would have to be < 6A if you are using SES or SBC lampholders.

Owain

Reply to
Owain