Help - Random Computer shutdowns

In message , Man at B&Q writes

Not always.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Download speedfan

It's worked on all the machines I've tried it on.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Are you sure the BIOS settings are not corrupted due to a flat battery?

Have you tried resetting to defaults for the temp monitoring stuff?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Mine shows both the target and actual temp in the BIOS page. So presumably the target would be wrong if the BIOS memory was suspect?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It does seem the logical way, given it's the temperature of the innards - not the heatsink - that really matters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, but I think you'll find recent and current PC class processors do it this way. That is what we were talking about, after all.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It might be the logical way but not all chips offer the facility.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Unfortunately the Op was talking about an AMD chip which AFAIR, didn't.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Mine are both AMD chips and have no sign of an external sensor. So I assumed it's internal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some are, some aren't. AFAIR the Athlon chips didn't, the sensor was usually in the centre of the CPU socket. Sometimes it was a springy piece of mylar that held the sensor against the underside of the chip but plenty of times it was just a tiny bead device mounted on the board. Which was somewhat useless.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Look up "thermal diode" in the AMD data sheets.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , Man at B&Q writes

Only added around the time of the OP's processor so there's a good possibility that his doesn't have one, certainly not before 2400+ chips and some of the 2600s. There's the matter of it not actually working on some of the early dies that were meant to incorporate it as well but your point is noted, the newer AMD chips do have one.

Reply to
Clint Sharp