HELP! Radiator cold at top bt has not bleed valve!

HI I have one radiator downstairs in my house that is cold at the top.....however it is a single radiator with no bleed valve.

Any ideas how i can get the air out?

I have tried balancing the system and running the system with only that radiator on but had no luck

Many Thanks

Marc

Reply to
marc_crosby

Are you certain it hasn't got one? It'll be a first for me.

I can see the only solution is to replace it with one that does have a bleed valve.

Reply to
Fred

Then you need to fit a bleed valve to it!

-- Dave Baker

"Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

Reply to
Dave Baker

You cant find a bleed valve to a radiator?

And i wa shoping for a suggestion that didnt mean fitting a new raditaor!

Dave Baker wrote:

Reply to
marc_crosby

Yeah its a single planel one...i also didnt know some radiators didnt have valves...I also have one in the bathroom.

There Must be another option?

Reply to
marc_crosby

definately not on the back of the radaitor? as you look at it from the front, top right on the back.

The old house i used to live in had single panel radiator's and each had a very small little screw on the back. Which, in my case, had been painted over many times and took a good while to free off!

Reply to
Freddie

Nope!,

Its also abrand new radiator...

Reply to
Marc

wrote

Have you looked on the face of the back panel? Some rads don't have "proper" bleed connections to the end of the top rail, but have a small nipple on the reverse face of the top rail (IYSWIM).

The ones in our office are like this, first I've seen like it!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Every radiator I've seen has either a bleed valve in one end, or on the rear face, near the end, or was supplied with 1/2" BSP holes at each end, so you could fit a blanking plug in one and a plug with a bleed valve in the other.

Does yours have two blanking plugs, or evidence where a bleed valve has once been (but has been, say, broken off, or bodged over)?

Reply to
Autolycus

I found it!

man i am dumbass

thanks

Reply to
Marc

The message from marc snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

It's not one of these that have the bleed valve hidden on the back edge instead o in the endcap?

Reply to
Guy King

Aye. They are sometimes hidden behind a smooth plastic cap on the back edge rather than in the ends. Probably can't see the cap but run your fingers along the rear and you may find a slight bulge.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from "Marc" contains these words:

Well, come on then show us a picture!

Reply to
Guy King

In the unlikely event that it doesnt have one, it will have provision for fitting one. In the even more unlikely event that it doesnt, drill and tap a small hole and insert a small SS machine bolt, say M4, with a slot filed at an angle in the thread in the bottom half. Now this can be unscrewed half way and let air out without the screw coming out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I can't imagine any radiator not having either a bleed valve or the blanking plug where a standard bleed valve would go. Making one without such provision would render it nigh on useless.

-- Dave Baker

"Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Since the OP's rad is nearly full of water, we can conclude it must have a bleed valve - how would it have got full otherwise?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No radiator I have ever seen has not got at least the OPTION of fitting a bleed valve. They are essential on ALL radiators.

At the least you normally get a plug at each end with a square recess in it that enables you to unscrew it and fit a bleed valve.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup! Where was it?

Reply to