Help me understand power banks.

There are basically two technologies for delivering faster charge over a US B cable, one which uses a higher current (up to 3A) and Qualcomm Quick Char ge which uses a higher voltage (up to 20V). If you don't use the correct on e your device won't charge at the faster rate (The devices negotiate the vo ltage and current so if you plug into the wrong charger nothing should go p op). Also some devices seem fussy about which charger they are plugged in t o and will only charge at the faster rate on some chargers for some reason.

If you buy a good powerbank it should support both technologies (Anker is a good brand). They often have separate USB ports for the different technolo gies.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

I have a slightly smaller one of these

Mine is 8000 mAh, and will happily jump start a small petrol car with a completely flat battery. Also has a small torch. Essentially the same size as my Moto G4, in its flip case.

Reply to
newshound

Orginal USB spec is 5 V +/- 0.25 V and 500 mA max.

Depends on the source, is it just a 5 V 1 A "power supply" or is it a

5 V 1 A "USB charger" or a 5 V 1 A "USB port" on a laptop/desktop.

My phone refuses to charge from a "power supply" but is quite happy from a "USB charger" or "USB port". The latter two will have the required resistors that tell the device what charge rate(s) are available. A "USB port" will have the resistors but also monitor the current draw and shut the port down if too much is taken. There may even be a data conversation to agree power requirements rather than just rely on the resistors.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ke+power+pack

Doesn't look like it supports Qualcomm Quick Charge though so would charge many phones very slowly (E.g. My G4 gets an 80% charge in 30 minutes with t he quick charger). I would be suspicious of that one as the name is a bit t oo close to a real Anker power bank. Wonder if it actually has an 8000mAH b attery in it.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

OK guys, I bit the bullet opened the pack and plugged it in

Tablet recognised it is being charged.

Will report back in an hour or two how much progress has been made

tim

Reply to
tim...

And I think that can only be answered by you with your devices. I have several portable devices and several chargers. When plugged into a low amp output device one of them reports on the screen "Charging slowly please connect to an approved charger" but does eventually charge. A different device just refuses to charge from the low output device.

Try charging from a standard PC usb output. If its not a USB3 connector then it should be limited to 500mA. If it will charge off that it will probably charge off anything.

Reply to
Chris B

Reviews generally find they all over-claim capacity a bit. Certainly this charges my phones happily and as I said will start at least one car. I guess there are two sorts of users, those who regularly need reliable fast charging (e.g. sports photographers?) and the rest of us who get caught short with a flat phone battery once in a while. (I try to keep a lighter socket and a couple of USB leads in all the vehicles all the time, but they do seem to wander). I just put my G4 on overnight on an ordinary charger.

Reply to
newshound

They don't over claim capacity. They quote the capacity of the cell in them. This is usually a Li-Ion at 3.4 volts(ish) so by the time you have converted it to 5V you have lost a lot of the capacity if you are assuming they are 5V cells. The same applies to jump starters as they aren't likely to have four cells in series so only have about 10V to play with.

Reply to
dennis

IME it's the cable more than the charger - very fussy about cables. Anker have been the most consistently reliable non-Apple cables I've used.

Reply to
RJH

+1 some will claim the mAhr rating of the 3v cell , other smore usefully the mAhr rating at 5v. Weight is a good guide to real capacity, as you would expect, weight correlates very well with capacity. Some can be charged while providing charge - can be useful . Higher charge rates often depend on the cable having thick enough conductors.
Reply to
Robert

I thought all laptops came with a charger, thing is they areblt 5V closer to 20V IIRC.

I wonder how long a car would take to charge from a USB port ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

The wife's laptop/tablet charges from USB. Its linx 1010 IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

Depends if the tablet's off or on. Even iPads will charge slowly if switched off, even on 1A, but slowly. If it's in use it will still run its battery down unless you have 2.1A or more. No doubt someone will correct me.

Reply to
therustyone

took longer to test than I thought as it wasn't (as promised on the pack) fully charged and ready to go.

It takes 3 hours to fully charge,

with

Tab1 it only managed to half change the device before it ran out of juice, but that took less than an hour.

Tab 2 (the Hudl that has given me all the previous charger grief) was already on 95% but it took over half an hour to get to 100% - I suspect that is the fault of the Hudl.

Plugged it into sister's iPhone and it went to 80% in an hour.

All in all, could be better but for 9.99, I'm happy - it serves the purpose it is intended for.

(brand is ChargeWorx if anyone's interested, bought it in "Game")

tim

Reply to
tim...

This is a handy little gadget that could help to understand what is going on

Following a mention in PC Pro, I picked mine up cheaper on Amazon, but it seems to have vanished now.

This video shows off its abilities:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Just search eBay for "USB doctor 30v" - they're £4-£6 from China.

I still have a 2nd gen one (the pale blue one) that cost £3 a few years ago. No need for fast charge capability here yet. What is handy is a dummy test load so you can check the stability of a supply without plugging in any electronic devices.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It is useful to have one to extend the usable life of portable devices when away from mains power or when the mains fails.

I have a solar powered one too which is good in the wilds.

Most of the smaller ones are. It will charge a tablet that is switched off but it will only delay the discharge of the devices internal battery if it is active (think of it as extra Ah of add-on battery power).

The latter may indicate that you are using the wrong lead.

There is nothing wrong with a 1A output - you just have to accept that it cannot recharge devices that are drawing more current than it can supply. It still acts as a power source whilst connected to the device. That is it slows down the rate of discharge of the internal battery.

Think of it more like extending their useful time on power.

Why did you get a power bank in the first place?

Most of mine were giveaways in goody bags at various conferences along with smaller USB memory sticks and promotional DVDs. There is no free lunch - a 2A output needs a bigger heavier battery to be worthwhile.

It is a tradeoff of convenience and having the thing available in an emergency vs carrying a large power brick around on the off chance.

FWIW I find I use a USB adapter in the cars cigarette lighter more often and it can supply a full power 2.4A charge rate on two sockets.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The linx is a tablet not a laptop, there's a differnce.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's the same lead whatever power source I use

tim

Reply to
tim...

because I don't have an employer playing 500 pounds a time for me to attend a conference

Reply to
tim...